Solved: Word 97/Excel 97 mail merge problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slurpee55

Hi all,

I have never had this problem before. I have an Excel file with a number of worksheets in it, all running a macro (thanks XLGuru) that prevents the entering of duplicate data in an area of each sheet (it is a seating chart for a number of days). Not too fancy. I have the print areas set and a correct worksheet is set first to have the data taken from.
BUT, when I try to run a mail merge to word in order to print tickets, I get the following message: "Word could not re-establish a DDE connection to Microsoft Excel to complete the task."
I have tried just copyng the data to another Word document and using that for the data info, and that worked fine, so...?
Help!

Thanks again, in advance (what a great site)!

slurpee55

Hi again,

Figured it out - in case anyone needs it, here is how.
On the Tools menu, click Mail Merge, click the Get Data button, and click Open Data Source.
Ensure that the Select Method check box is selected.
When Word prompts you to confirm the data source, select Microsoft Excel Worksheet Via Converter (*.xls) from the Open Data Source list. When you use the converter, the error does not occur, even if you specify a range using a colon as the separator.
In my case, I had to specify the rage of cells to draw from as well.
:D

slurpee55

Hi Andy,

Broke my file?!? LOL - I do dumb stuff, but try not to tick off people who help me!

A rage of cells? Guess I was more upset with this than I thought...
I had managed to find that same link and work things out.
Thanks,

(Say, how do you find time to work and do all that you do on here)?

>> how do you find time to work and do all that you do on here

Don't do that to me! For a minute, I thought my wife had started posting here. :eek: ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online