Solved: word and brackets

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

valis

Pretty sure this boils down to a user configuration setting, but I'll be dipped if I can find it. The user has the square brackets ([) showing up at odd interims in documents that she opens. When I open the identical document on a different machine, the brackets are not there; they also do not appear in print preview nor in the actual print job itself, which leads me to believe that they are some formatting/editing function that got turned on without her knowing it.

Any ideas?

TIA,

v

Did you try clicking on the question mark (?) above the toolbar and choosing "detect and repair"...

valis

dunno that that's going to do it, but I'll give it a shot. I am dead certain it's a user config option, just don't know where the heck it's hiding.

...that's how I fix all my Word problems... cause, it's the only thing I know how to do... :eek: :D

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi valis,
What version of Word is she using? If it's 2002, try going to View/Markup. If it's turned on, turn it off. Does that help?

valis

I'll give it a shot.....uno momento whilst I remote in...back shortly.....

valis

word 2000....no view > markup......still, think that's on the right (write - hah!) course....pretty sure it's a user-configged setting somewhere.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hmmm. A bookmark perhaps? If you go to Tools/Options/View, is there a check next to Bookmarks under "Show"?

A square bracket formatting mark?

I don't suppose they're field codes, that'd be kind of obvious. Lemme fool around.

chris.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
cristobal03 said:
I don't suppose they're field codes, that'd be kind of obvious. Lemme fool around.
Yeah, I thought maybe that too. But then there should be shading and such also.

[bump]

But really though, field codes are all I can think of. Try turning them off (Alt + F9, I think). I think that is a user-specific--not a file-specific--setting.

chris.

Not necessarily. The shading can be turned off.

But the syntax between the brackets would be obviously non-standard compared to the rest of the document. So you're probably right.

chris.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Obviously. :p

I guess we'll just have to wait for valis to come tell us.

*taps foot impatiently and looks at watch* ;)

valis

WendyM said:
Hmmm. A bookmark perhaps? If you go to Tools/Options/View, is there a check next to Bookmarks under "Show"?
dammit, got called on another ticket, and my response, for which I never hit 'submit reply' got lost.....so from jump:

Tried the bookmark thing. Specifically, I tried to change the color of the bookmark to red to see if that would change the color of the brackets; it didn't, so piffle on that.

field codes? Never even heard of them. But it sounds right, as that is an easy(ish) combo for the user to accidentally hit. Let me give that a shot....uno momento.....

wendy said:
*taps foot impatiently and looks at watch*
i SAID i was sorry......;) be right back you three....and thanks for the help as always.....

valis

nope on the field thing. Well, nope on alt-f9 at least, which may or may not have been the field thing. It gets odder; I emailed some of the text to this machine, doesn't do it down here, as I stated. However, when I copy a paragraph that has a total of 4 brackets (2 open, 2 closed) into a brand new word document, paste it, it goes down to 2 brackets (1 open, 1 closed).

Strange indeed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online