1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word doc not arriving at Outlook / Thunderbird, but zipped file will. Why?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by eVILRigby, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi,

probably a very simple answer to this hopefully. Every week someone sends me a Word doc usually titled something like

Reviews 94 August 2012 week three.doc

to three email accounts, a yahoo account, an POP3 account serviced by Outlook 2007, and a POP3 account serviced by Thunderbird 14.0 (these two are on the same machine.)

Since we switched hosting, the emails never come through to the Outlook and Thunderbird accounts. Other word attachments do get through from the same sender, as do every other type of attachment. The attachments in question are usually no more than 80KB.

I have whitelisted the sender in the Plesk control panel, that didn't make any difference. I have also spoken to the host but they seem to think it's getting stopped somewhere in transit as they can't see the emails in question arriving on their mail servers having given them specific time/dates.

Zipping the file means it does get through to the Thunderbird and Outlook accounts, but the person sending is somewhat of a luddite and I would prefer them not to have to do an extra step. Plus, it irks me that there is a problem at all. I still think it is something to do with the current host given the timing of the problem starting, but...

I have uploaded an example of what is getting stopped. Any suggestions? I have tried renaming the files etc.

many thanks in advance for any help,

Jonathan

Attached Files:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I would suspect your current host as well since it gets to Yahoo without problem.

A quick look shows some strange characters below the title in the Doc on the TM line.
    It might be getting blocked by their security.
    Try removing that line and see if it will go through.

3. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hi throoper,
    well it seems you were right. I removed that line of characters (shown below) which he always cuts and pastes into a new document in case he needs any of them during the editing process (to save him using insert symbol lol) and it came straight through!

ÁÀÉÊâàáçèéêô ïôø ®©™

many thanks for all your help,
    Jonathan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065415