1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word document web link

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cecilep61280, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cecilep61280

cecilep61280 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am curious to know if there is any way i can make a word document into a hyprelink. I am currently the administrator for a site called www.southbuffalobaseball.com and it uses a program called wordpress. I have been told its not a good thing to upload a word document as it can change the layout of my website. I have a application i want people to be able to print out but its in word format. I was hoping there is a way i can upload the file to a site and place a link on my page so that when people click on the link it opens the application in word, and thus they can print it out. Is it possible to do this?

2. The Villan

The Villan

Hi
    I just had a similar issue, where I wanted a booking form for the music club I run. I wanted people to be able to open a word document and print or save it on their machine.
    However I am using Frontpage, but I am sure it must be a similar concept.
    Bomb #21 gave me this link http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/frontpage/HP011443171033.aspx
    It worked and is brilliant.
    So have a look and it may well provide you with a brainwave.

Good luck

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

First, I would suggest you convert your Word document to a pdf file, if you have that ability - while most people have Word or something else that can read documents, pdf readers are free. Then I would upload the file (and if you can't convert to a pdf this still applies) and put it somewhere on the host. Finally, go to the page you want people to download from and add in a link to that file.
    For an example, for a website I manage, this summer we were looking for summer students to work. The following text linked to two copies of the application form, one a pdf and the other a Word doc.
    <a href="http://wabashtrace.connections.net/Application.pdf">
    Application (PDF file)</a><br>
    <a href="http://wabashtrace.connections.net/ApplicationFINAL.doc">
    Application (Word Doc file)</a><br>
    (Actually, if you cut and paste the links into your browser, they still work - we will be hiring again next summer, so why delete the stuff?)

4. cecilep61280

I have attempted to insert it as a link.
    I first uploaded it through manage pages in wordpress, and then copied the link location and tried to make a hyperlink to this file location http://wp-content/uploads/2007/11/littleleagueclinics2.doc

But when someone clicks on it, it takes u to one of those lame search pages, as you can see. Am i doing something wrong?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

6. cecilep61280

I just noticed that in my "options" in wordpress there is no Wordpress URL listed, but there is a blod adress listed.....Is this causing it? If so how do i fix it?

When you go to www.southbuffalobasball.com and click on little league application it has two links or uploads i have been trying to get work, and when you click on them they both give errors...is it because of the wordpress url not being there? I dont want to screw up the template or website, thanks for helping...ill wait for a response

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

You need to find out where the document resides on your server - find the names of any folders and subfolders it is in, and also the folder name(s) for the rest of your web pages.
    When you know that, I can help you write the correct link.

8. cecilep61280

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

And what happens if you click on that link right away?
    Also, the email you have listed for here (a Yahoo account) came back as no longer working....

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

11. cecilep61280

Your awesome thank you sooo much. This is solved!

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

It took a bit to figure out how the server is configured, but I was glad to help.
    Please mark this thread as solved by using the thread tools at the top of the page. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice