1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word/Excel pop-up windows incomplete for one user

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by NM_Terry, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NM_Terry

NM_Terry Thread Starter

Hello,
    Using Office 2010 Excel/Word programs. Pop-up dialog windows are incomplete for one user on same PC. Works fine for other user with same privileges (admin). Example, hyperlink, only the top bar and some of the windows appear. (see attached ). If I close and open the pop-up window repeatedly it will eventually fully appear. I do notice that the there is a brief (not responding) message appearing on the top bar of the program window. :confused:

Suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6050 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1262 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 695302 MB, Free - 628483 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG. Check trust settings for locations and macros.

3. NM_Terry

NM_Terry Thread Starter

Who-hoo! Looking at the other user locations, this user was missing them. Once they were entered, it seems to work fine. THANKS!

4. draceplace

draceplace

Great news NM_Terry! Glad to be of assistance. Sometimes you just need a little clue to get things going. I have a document about Trust Settings I email weekly to someone.

Please mark the thread as solved..button at to of thread.--Never mind!

5. NM_Terry

NM_Terry Thread Starter

Spoke too soon...although the pop-up appeared after I made the changes to the location settings AND after I had restarted Word, on the next document I opened, the same issue appeared. :-( I checked the location/macro settings and they were still the "new" ones. ARGH! The Pop-up does show up completely if I close it, open it, close it, open it and then close and open it again. (Sometimes on the second open).

6. draceplace

draceplace

Another thing I noticed when I finally looked at the screen shot that word was running in compatability mode. Which means not all features are available. Are the working users running in compatabiltiy mode?

Then, maybe a repair or reinstall of Office? Since its one user it points to this as possibility. The other thing to check is the reference libraries. Compare those those to a working one.

7. draceplace

draceplace

Just thought of another route, video card/memory. Perhaps things are working correctly you just can see it?

8. NM_Terry

NM_Terry Thread Starter

I'll check out those solutions and mark it solved if they work. I had created a new Word document and had the issue before changing the location settings AND saving a "compatibility" mode document as a 2010 document seems to be working now. I'll keep my fingers crossed and will follow-up with a "solved" if the fix stays. If not, I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks so much!

9. NM_Terry

NM_Terry Thread Starter

Just an update...I'll mark the post solved, however, when trying to reinstall Microsoft Office, the "operating system does not support...." errors so Dell support was contacted (fortunately the computer was not yet beyond their help). They set up a remote assist and the system crashed. :-( Guess there was more going on than just meets the eye! Good news! I back up and have reinstalled my system so all is good now. Thanks for the effort. I'm sure I'll be asking for help again in the future! You're GREAT!!!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice