1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Word Icon

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by wizzkid, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Hi,

This is not a major problem just an annoyance. The thing is the icons for my word documents have changed from Word to Wordpad icons, even though they still open in word. How do I change the icons back to word.

Thanks

Wizzkid

2. lora_3677

lora_3677

in windows 2000.....

double click my computer > Tools > Folder options > click the File types tab > find the .doc extension. click to highlight... click advanced, click change icon... it should come up in the box.

make sure you are saving as a .doc file and not a .rtf file....

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

And Wizzy - when you click the CHANGE ICON button - if it is not already in the proper folder for that icon you will have to navigate it to:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe

Where you will see all the different WORD icons listed

- Castleheart ;)

4. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry all I should have mentioned my O/s is Windows 98se. And the version of Word is Word 2000 professional.

Wizzkid

5. lora_3677

lora_3677

How do I change the icon associated with an object?
    To change the icon associated with an object:

Right-click on the icon. The context menu will appear.
    Click on Properties.
    Click on the Change Icon button.
    Click on the icon of your choice.
    Click on OK.
    Note: Not all icons can be changed. If you do not see the Change Icon button, the icon can not be changed.

If this doesn't work.... do a google... that is what I have been doing. ;)

6. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Yep know all that stuff. Maybe I wasn't very clear what the problem was (well I know I wasn't very clear).

In the my documents folder and the my documents list in the sturtup menu, all my word documents do not have the Word icon they all have the wordpad icon, the Word icon on my desk top is fine. When I right-click on one of these documents as said the icon cannot be changed, but I would like to know why all of a sudden has it done. But thats computers for ya, who knows what their thinking..........

Wizzkid

7. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

:confused:

Wizzboy..... Loralei's first answer should have done the do for WORD2K in 98se.

Follow her instructions and when you get to FILE TYPES tab - scoll down to MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT. (It should currently show the icon for wordpad if what you say is correct)

Double click it and there ought to be a change Icon Button on the top of the window that appears. Click it - and in the file name window put

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe

and click OK and all the available WORD icons should appear for your selection.

If this is not the case - tell us what ain't right!
    - C

8. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

...so Wizz.... are you saying that under FILE TYPES - The listing for WORD DOCUMENT shows the correct ICON ?

- C

9. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thank you all for your help, I have just fixed the annoyance, it was as mentioned, but I was a little mislead as the reply was for windows 2000 which is basically the same.

I opened windows explorer -> View -> Folder Options -> File Types, then changed the wordpad icon which as made my word documents has the correct icon as before.

Thanks again

Wizzkid

10. lora_3677

lora_3677

oops... sorry... i put windows 2000 because that is the exact way in win2k... i was afraid that the terms may be a little off in other versions.

castle: how did i become loralei?? i like it!!

11. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Just one or two words nothing to worry about, the answer was the right one and thats all that matters ain't it. Everything came good in the end.

Wizzkid

12. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

how did i become loralei??

Kinda had that laid-back southern sound to it.

A warm late-summer afternoon - a faint river breeze, looking down from shade of the grassy banks - through Cypress trees draped in spanish moss - over the wide waters of the river's mouth as they drift away to meet the sea - garden drink in hand.

It really ought be Lorelei - just tell folks it was altered slightly just for you....

:D

But of course.... in legend she was a beautiful woman said to rested on a rock near the Rhine and lured sailors onto the rocks to their doom with her enchanting songs.

Nah! I like my vision better!

- C

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice