1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word Macro Delete

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Morny, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi to All at TSG

I created a Macro in word 2000 but accitdentally wrote the wrong letter. It is for an address which sits in the Toolbar. I couldn't delete it so I uninstalled the whole Office Suite. I defragged and then went to install the Office Suite BUT the macro was still there! I somehow deleted this macro but it is still there!! 3x I have removed the Office Suite and I'm at my wits end trying to get this sorted.

Please can anyone help?

With Kindest Regards x x

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Did you uninstall WinFax macro? If you can't find it respond and I'll walk you through how to uninstall it manually.
    To delete a macro:
    Pull down the Tools menu in word and select Macro, then click Macros.
    Then In Macro name box, click the macro you wish to delete.

IFFF the macro is not shown in the list, you can select another document or template or list in the Macros in listbox and Click Delete.

3. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi Victoria

Thank you so much for coming to my aid x x

I haven't heard of WinFax. I've just had a look where you said and on the bottom part, it says, Macro created by (my name isn't there after 'by').

When I click on that icon on the toolbar, which I called Address, the message I get says: "The macro cannot be found, or has been disabled because of your security settings"

Maybe if I go via the registry?

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Just delete the button, the macro's gone but you forgot to remove the button.

If you don't have any special things in the Normal.dot just close word, search for the file named notmal.dot and delete it, there should be only one, if not delete them all.
    A new one will becreated when Word is opened agani.
    Things are stored here, and that is why it's come back all the time uninstalling will remove the program but things like normal. dot stay and when reinstalling the old one will be used again.

5. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Hi Keebellah,

It won't let me just delete the button. I right-clicked but this just gives me a drop-down menu.

Please remind me where the normal.doc is please? I used the search facility but it couldn't find any files with normal.doc.

Many thanks x x

6. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

I've just looked under C\Program Files\MS Office\ Templates\ 1033 but there is no normal.dot listed?
    Not sure whether to delete that whole folder called 1033?

I just opened Word and chose New document and under the General Tab, none of the docs are available to view, either in Template, or Normal doc mode. These are Blank Doc; Web Page; Email Message; Dot1.dot.

Under Office, there is also a folder with 1033 but no normal.dot. There is Winword.exe?

7. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    It's normal.dot in Office 2003 and older and normal.docx in office 2007 or newer
    Do NOT delete the 1033 folder, that's not where you should be looking for it.

It will be somewhere in a sub folder of Application Data or other.

8. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

Ah, Thank you, Keebellah, very much in deed!!! Found it!! I thought it might have been under Programs, proper. There were 2 files there. One normal one and the other .dot.

I'm soooooooo elated to have gotten rid of that. Incidentally, I don't suppose there is any way of amending a self-recorded Macro?

Thank you once again for your help, your'e an Angel x x x

9. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    If you still have it yes, but if it's deleted it's back to the drawing board. :)

10. Morny

Morny Thread Starter

I deleted the 2 entries and then clicked on the Word shortcut link and it opened OK. I was expecting it to do a search (like you get) but it just opened without any probs.

I feel sooooo stupid at times because I've been for years doing things on here and yet .....

Anyway, thank you very much in deed for helping me out x x x x

11. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Don't feel studi. It's worse to not ask for help when you need it :)
    Glad to have been of service.

12. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Which isn't fun! Keenllah to the rescue! :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!