1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word mail merge shows empty outlook contact folder

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dlbeck, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

I'm using Office 2003. I went through the steps of doing a mail merge from word. I selected the Outlook contact folder I wanted to use and it shows no contacts in it. However, there are plenty of contacts in that folder. So I tried another contact folder and it worked just fine. Any suggestion on this one folder?

Thanks.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Right-click that Contacts folder and hit Properties. Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and make sure it's checked to be seen as email address book.

3. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

I've done that earlier today but it still shows up empty in word.

4. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

This fixes the problem of having word show an empty address book from Outlook Contact folder when doing a mail/merge in Word.

1. I went to Outlook, clicked on Tools, then Email Accounts, then View or Change Existing Directories or Address Books

2. I then highlighted Outlook Address Book and clicked on Change

3. I then removed each address book listed, clicked on close, clicked on finish.

4. I then went to each Contacts Folder and right mouse clicked and selected the Properties option.

5. I then clicked on the Outlook Address Book tab

6. I put a check mark in the "Show this folder as an email address book"

Prior to all this each contact folder already had this checked. So God only knows why this issue existed but it did.

After doing these 6 steps I went to do a mail merge in word and selected the Contact Folder that had been showing up empty before. It no longer was empty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice