1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word opens\closes very slow and uses 100% cpu

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Shehasnoclue, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shehasnoclue

Shehasnoclue Thread Starter

I was trying to find more information on this. There was a thread back in Dec. '07 between Rollin_again and moonwalker about Word taking a long time to open or close and using 100% cpu usage during those times. According to the post, I tried the first steps that had been suggested but the thread is now closed. I got as far as being able to open word really quickly by opening it with the /a switch so I know it must be an add in issue. However that was there the thread ended and I was trying to find out what next steps might be.

Were there suggestions as to what I should look at specifically? I have no addins in word. I do have symantec antivirus and adobe both loaded on my compuetr(XP SP2 with 1.5gb ram).

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Welcome to the board. Can you identify your Word version from this link?

3. Shehasnoclue

According to about within word it is Word 2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3, part of MS Office Pro Edition 2003. I am currently downloading all updates for office to see if it might make a difference. I also uninstalled and reinstalled office before I posted. Is that what you were looking for?

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

My bad. By "identify" I meant "is there an MSKB article at that (search) link relating to whatever version of Word you have?"

5. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Try clicking START > RUN > winword /a > OK

any better?

6. Shehasnoclue

There was no articles in that link that were the same to what is happening with mine.

As for Darren's question, yes it does open faster that way but I don't have any addin's that I can see. That is where my problem is, I believe. Are there any other programs that don't show as addin's but are?

7. bomb #21

bomb #21

8. Shehasnoclue

Thanks for that info. I did find one from webex and removed it but it didn't make a difference. Any other ideas?

9. bomb #21

bomb #21

10. Shehasnoclue

I thought I had done that previously but apparently I must not have done it or done it properly because I just did it again and poof maic...word pops up really fast. Thanks for all the effort. It is greatly appreciated!

11. bomb #21

bomb #21

You're welcome. Thanks for marking this solved. (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice