1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word Perfect X4: how do I change blue display background????

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, I just installed X4 for my dad. The default background is blue. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change it to white....I feel like I've tried "everything," but obviously I have missed one choice somewhere......searched everywhere i could think of, tried settings everywhere.....I don't see any option for it.

Please help!

2. pip22

pip22

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for this, but I tried it and can't get it to work. For one thing, in Windows 7, word perfect x4, there is no "preferences" under "edit." And if I try to do this under control panel there is no setting for background color.

Any ideas....? Very strange that there isn't a simple way to do this....or ANY REFERENCE in "help" at all to how to do this.....exasperating.

4. m-dash

m-dash

I have used only the DOS versions of WP, and the Windows versions only up to WP9, but according to what I have read on user forums previously, the recent versions of WP including X4 have an option called "Workspace Manager" that allows you to choose several interfaces for WP...

One of these is supposed to be called WP5.1 Classic Mode, which emulates the blue editing screen of WP5.1 for DOS. This mode also uses some WPDOS keystroke combinations. According to a video I just saw on the Corel site, a dialog box is supposed to appear each time you start WP, asking which mode you want WP to start in. But if you clear the checkbox in this dialog box, it won't appear again at startup. It says you can choose "Workspace Manager" from the Tools menu in WP, once loaded, to choose the mode you want the program in.

If you do have 5.1 classic mode selected, you will probably also find that some of the common Windows keystroke commands don't work, since it is designed to appeal to longtime users of the WPDOS versions who prefer the older key commands.

Another issue is that I believe only WPX5 is certified by Corel to work properly on Windows 7; so this might complicate matters in your case. You can check for "workspace manager" in WP Help, or ask for help over at wpuniverse.com... they always are willing to provide assistance.

Hope this helps...

M-dash

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, THANK YOU! That was exactly it; I somehow had defaulted into the "classic mode," and I guess that meant a blue screen background....strange.....

But anyway, that did the trick, so thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice