Solved: Word: Reveal Formatting Task Pane

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Releashi

I seem to have woken up in a nightmare world where this is no-longer possible on my copy of Word (2000). :eek:

Note: Reveal Formatting is a specific option that opens a task pane (like view document map) but what it shows is all the formatting such as line spacing font etc.. it also shows style content as found in templates or created manually.

I am absolutly positive that I have used this function before at the this computer with this copy of word and in fact the same document that I am working with now but the option no-longer appears in my menu.

I've tried Shift-F1 but I only get a little bubble telling me the style and formatting of the text I clicked on. I've tried resetting the toolbars and menus and I've spent a lot of time googling to find out that this feature was apparently introduced in the 2002 version... :confused:

I am feeling very very confused now.
Rel

Hi Rel - not sure what you mean by 'formatting task pane'.

If you mean the various formatting options, right click on an empty grey area of the menu bar and click formatting to add a tick next to it. This reveals the formatting options - in my case I have it as a bar directly beneath the main menu bar, but if you place the cursor on an empty area of the bar (cursor changes to crosshairs) you can click and move it elsewhere, in which case it becomes a floating 'box'. If you then drag the box back to an empty area of the menu bar at the top or to the sides or bottom of the window and it will revert to a 'bar' rather than a 'box' and anchor itself.

Does this help?

Releashi

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I am no-longer able to reveal formatting in any of my word documents: There is not an option for it in any of my menus and shift+F1 does not open this task pane.

Like I said I used to be able to open this feature but cannot seem to any longer.

Anne Troy

Anne
The "Reveal Formatting" (and task panes in general) were not introduced until 2002. You stated this yourself, and it's a fact.

You're simply mistaken that you ever used it in 2000.

Oh...do you mean you want to see formatting marks in the document? Go Tools/Options, View tab and select what you want to see in the 'formatting marks' section.

If you want a quick step to turn this on and off, right-click an empty area of the menu bar, go to Customise at the bottom. This opens a new dialogue box - click View in the Categories list then look for the 'show all' item in the list on the right. Drag the icon from this list onto a toolbar. Close the customise box.

Releashi

Dreamboat said:
The "Reveal Formatting" (and task panes in general) were not introduced until 2002. You stated this yourself, and it's a fact.

You're simply mistaken that you ever used it in 2000.
Ok... That is what seemed to be the case despite my memory to the contrary.

I would put this down to simply having lost my mind over night but I have actaully demonstrated using this feature on the computer I am at now and I have verfied that this happened.All I can think is that since then someone removed Office and installed an older version but that would be odd as it is my personal computer.

Well thank you anyway, I'll chalk this up as solved being is there is not really a solution to what must be my personal madness :(

Releashi

Dreamboat said:
LOL! Yes. Sorry. It's true. Not introduced until 2002. :)
I've just stomped off to get a copy of Office 2002+ to solve this really odd day. I can't believe I spent this many ohours looking for a feature that just isn't there :)

Thanks again

Releashi

Advice taken, 2003 it is. I was justing coming to that conclusion while reading up on them.

Oops..sorry for prolonging and confusing the issue with my two-penneth...I obviously got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick. :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online