1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word - slow file save and retreival

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rfcjr, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

I have had a very annoying problem with Word 2002 on a Dell Win Xp computer. I have 2 megs of ram and the procesor is 2.66 GHz. When I wish to save a document it takes about 15 seconds to go from one directory to another when I want to save the file or to go to a non default directory or a flash drive. It also takes this amount of time to retrieve a file. I have started using OpenOffice Writer since I can save and retrieve files immediately. For the final copy of the document I then go back to Word. This has been quite annoying for months. Has anybody had this experience? Even after installing a new harddrive sometime ago this problem surfaced. Thank you in advance.

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Sometimes Word is slowed down by virus checkers. You might want to see how yours is set up.

3. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Thank you; but, I have no antivirus software loaded.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Are these files being saved to and opened from a network location or from the local hard drive? Do you have any mapped network drives that are showing as being disconnected when you click on "My Computer" on your desktop ??? Have you checked to see if you have any COM add-ins that may be causing the issue?

Rollin

5. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Thank you. I now realize that I had several computers connected; but, turned off. Once I disconnected them everything ran fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice