Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Word XP - Protecting forms & keeping links

745 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Yorkshire Guy 
#1 ·
I am having an issue with a document created in Word XP. The doc has a table of contents, with links that jump you to different sections of the document when you click them. The doc also has a number of forms and drop-downs that I'd like to protect. However, my problem is that when I select "Protect...Forms", the links in my table of contents becomes deactivated and can not be used. With the forms unprotected, the links in the table of contents work fine, but I lose all the functionality in the drop-downs (they stop being drop downs!).

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have the best of both worlds here, and keep the links in my table of contents active while still protecting the forms?

#2 ·
hi nerdlyman,

caveat: I've never got to the bottom of this and sometimes it seems to work and othertimes not, need to spend time experimenting.

however, you should try these:

1. protect forms via the padlock icon on the FORMS TOOLBAR rather than the TOOLS menu.
2. if 1 doesn't work, then try putting your document into sections (Insert \ Break \ Section Break) and from the menu TOOLS / PROTECT DOCUMENT click FORMS and then also click SECTIONS then untick the section that contains your TOC.

HTH

Hew

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.