1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Word

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by xavier2, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

The free Microsoft Starter Word,which I have,is very limited in what it can do compared to Microsoft Word. I also have downloaded the free Open Office. I was wondering if having Starter and not the full Word also limits O.O. I ask this because when I type a document, name it in "Save As", click on the named folder I want to send it to, click "Save" and I get the message "No items match your search." Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.:confused:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It doesn't affect OO.

It is probably looking for previously saved files with the default extension so it can list them for you. Of course it cannot find any if this is the first or you are using a different extension.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Having one does not limit the installation of the next.
    I think maybe you are clicking on no file name, and not having a file name to save as.
    If that is the case, all you need to do is enter a typed in file name. You can save any opened document as any name you like, but you do have to have a name to save it as.

On a related issue, you might want to instead use LibreOffice as a step up from OpenOffice. LibreOffice was created by the same people who started OpenOffice but were stymied in their ability to upgrade freely the OpenOffice.

LibreOffice can do everything that OpenOffice could do, and a few more things as well. You ought to look into the advantages of LibreOffice over OpenOffice.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

And the ability to save LibreOffice documents directly into Word documents (.doc and .docx). No conversion software needed. (y)

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

The ability to save as Word (.doc) is identical in OpenOffice and LibreOffice (not sure about the newer .docx format with OpenOffice since I haven't used OpenOffice in a while). The capability to open & save all of the previous MS Office file types is enjoyed by both.

But be aware that the default saving to the MS formats is NOT to .doc, or .xls, or .ppt. You can either, each time, select the format you want over the default of the open format (of OpenOffice or LibreOffice) or use the setup options to change your default save formats (which I do for all my installations).

6. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

7. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thank you, guys, but I am no further forward.Excuse my ignorance, but let us pretend. Say you type up a page in Starter or O.O. You want to name it Peter and place it in a folder in Documents called Alice - what exactly do you do?

8. DaveBurnett

Use "Save as" and fill in the name and location.

9. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thank you Dave but that is exactly what I have done. Please refer to my first post.

10. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

I type up a page, I name in "Save as", I click on the new named folder I have created in Documents, I click on "Save" and I get the message "No items match your search" All I want to do in put a number of files into a single folder, pretty basic stuff but I can't do it!

11. DaveBurnett

Try saving it somewhere other than documents or a sub folder of it.
    I'm wondering if there is a "restriction" on using the keyword ( to MS ) documents.
    I never us the built in locations in MS as I have seen too many problems with them over the years. Yes I know some are un-avoidable and that is why I try to use portable apps wherever possible.

12. raybro

raybro

Attached screen shots show sequence.

Attached Files:

13. ChuckE

ChuckE

Raybro, or Max, the next time you place images here, how about, at least, not including all that excessive white space. It really makes the viewing of the pertinent info a bit harder to see until I zoom in, which wouldn't be necessary if the bit size was not so large. Anyway, I have reduced the cropped images you have and put them all on one image, incase someone else wants to see with less trouble (hopefully :).

Here is what I've noticed in your captures.
    1) You created a folder named Alice on your desktop. Since you were able to do that we know that you have write rights. And while you can place that folder and the file wherever you wish, I wonder why you just didn't create it in your "Documents" folder. Oh well, if you must...
    2) I see nothing wrong that you are doing, IF you are pressing the [Save] button. However, if you are getting some sort of "No items match your search' message, that makes me wonder if you have the ability to save a file from that version of MS Word.
    3) Ah Ha! That might be it! I noticed that your documents title bar says:
    "Document1 [Compatibility Mode] - Microsoft Word non-commercial use"
    The part where it says "Microsoft Word non-commercial use" makes me believe that you have an installation of Word that has expired. You can't write (save) any files with an expired version of Word. I think you can open files, just not save.

If all you need to do is simple Word stuff, then remove this installation and either install a free office suite, such as LibreOffice, or get the MS Office Starter Edition. Typically the Starter version just comes preloaded on a new PC, but if you hunt around you can find some places that provide the Starter version, for free, elsewhere.

Because the Starter version is free, there is much reduced functionality, but that may be ok for your purposes.

Attached Files:

14. xavier2

xavier2 Thread Starter

Thank you, ChuckE. I think I may have solved the problem. Using Open Office I have created 3 files and placed all in a folder. I have successfully e- mailed that folder to myself (my second email address.) However I have been asked to produce a single Word multipage document. Is what I have done the same thing. Thanks again.

15. ChuckE

ChuckE

You can't just select a folder and email it. Folder structures are not "understood" by email programs.

To effectively send a folder what you can do is compress (zip) the folder with the selection of files and perhaps other folders inside. Then you email that one compressed zip file. At the receiving end that person uncompresses it, which reconstitutes it back to the folder structure. Alternativly you could just send the separate files, which can all be included in that one email, and suggest to the receiving person to put the files in a folder, if needed.

By the way, you do not need to have a second email address to email to yourself. Long before flash drives were prevalent and cheap, and floppies didn't have the capacity, I would often email files to myself when I needed to transport work between home and the workplace. It was common practice back then. But today's high capacity USB drives negated that.

Your question: is a folder of files the same as a multipage single Word document?
    No. If you need to add pages to a Word document just type more, or learn that there is a Page Break command that will create another page at any point in the document. You could have as little as one character on a page, then another page, another single character, another page, etc.

Don’t create separate files for each page if you want to easily print all the pages at one time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice