1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Work For Video Editing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carlos_Mendoza, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carlos_Mendoza

Carlos_Mendoza Thread Starter

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Those parts should be good. What video card do you plan to use? And the $64 question is what Power Supply will you be using?

3. vembutech

vembutech Banned

This looks more reliable in order to perform the video editing/playback can try with that.

4. Carlos_Mendoza

Hadn't thought about video card...what would you recommend? I have a power supply, I'll look at specs this afternoon and post them to see if you think they are sufficient.

5. Carlos_Mendoza

Were you going to post a link of another combo?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Personally if reliability and performance were the main considerations I'd be looking an Intel based system rather than an AMD system. If you want exceptional reliability than I'd look a complete business/workstation class system like a Dell Optiplex or Lenovo ThinkCenter and maybe even go with a Xeon processor, but that may be more in line if you were running a business, for home users or hobbists you can use a good quality home system too.

Also, see what the software you intend to use recommends. It may support hardware GPU acceleration with certain brands of cards such as NVidia cards.

7. Carlos_Mendoza

I looked at an Intel based system and (you may dis-approve this theory), I have an i3-2330M CPU @ 2.2GHZ with 6 GB RAM running Win 7 64X and video processing on it is shockingly slow, my thought was the above has the 8 core, albeit AMD, it would blow this processor out of the water.

What Intel combo would you recommend?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An 8 Core AMD would definitely be faster than an entry level dual core i3. I was thinking more along the lines of a high end Intel i7 processor that has 4 or 6 cores plus Hyperthreading such as the Intel i7-47xx, 48xx, 49xx, 58xx, 59xx processors. If you get into Xeon's you can get 10 or 12 core processors and multi-processors per system. The motherboard would depend on what processor you choose and your budget, but I wouldn't be getting a high-end gaming board with a bazzillion overclocking tweaks if you want stability.

You may also need way more than 6GB of RAM and possibly several hard drives or better yet an SSD drive for working with the video files.

Again, this depends on what kind of video editing you are doing, what software you are using, and the software recommends and supports for GPU acceleration or whatnot, and your budget.

9. Carlos_Mendoza

Is their any processor you would recommend over another? I looked at a few for example the i7-4790 is only a quad core, but it would run faster/smoother than the 8 core AMD? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.

Stability is a must, I do 0 gaming so that is not important to me.

I'll look into more RAM, I don't recall what the capability was last time I looked. And I currently have a 512GB SSD drive that I use (of course I would like I plan to expand it).

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If stability and performance are the critical parts I would again recommend at looking at pre-built business class workstations such as Dell Optiplex and Precision lines.

Intel processors are more efficient than AMD processors and tend to outperform AMD processors with more cores. More cores also aren't necessarily better for all tasks, compare a 14 core/28 thread Intel Xeon against the higher clocked i7-4790 with only 4 core/8 threads and in that 14 core processor loses in many benchmarks. The application in question makes a big difference as to what is better; more cores or higher clock.

Go here and compare processors: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1199 You can choose to compare two processors and see how they do in various benchmarks.
    And another more general chart: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Again, it would really help if you posted a budget, the type of editing you do, and what software you plan to use. The software may have preference of design and may even benefit heavily from a specific GPU(graphics card).

Just another note, the i3-2330M is a fairly weak processor, its great for a laptop for everyday use, but it's definitely not the best choice to use for video editing. Using almost any current generation mid class or higher desktop Intel i3 or better or current AMD FX series processor will yield fairly decent performance gains.

11. Carlos_Mendoza

Thank you for those links, that will be very helpful. The program I use is CyberLink Power Director 13
    http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/features_en_US.html?&r=1 and I agree the laptop processor is not the best to use, just what I have atm.

Budget wise I would like to spend about $850 --- now with that being said, am I going to get what I am after or is that to small of a budget to get a PC that will meet my needs and I should save more?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. Carlos_Mendoza

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the $850 for every component? What parts do you have now that you can or want to re-use?

15. Carlos_Mendoza

I have the below. I can easily get additonal RAM (if needed) so let's not cater the product around that, it's a dime a dozen now-a-days anyway.
    Code:
    PSU - Cooler Master V550
    Video Card - AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Hard Drive - 512 GB SSD
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice