Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Workgroup and network stopped functioning!

815 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Phantom010 
#1 ·
I have a 3 computer LAN which has let me do simple file and printer sharing.

The 3 computers are a Dell Dimension 5000 (XP Pro, 3Gb RAM), a Dell Inspiron 531 (Vista, 2Gb RAM) and an old DellI Inspiron 8000 laptop (XP Home 500Mb RAM). The Dell Dimension 5000 has a wired connection to a Belkin F5D7632 Wireless-G router-modem, and the other 2 connect wirelessly to the router. The Dell Dimension has USB connections to an Epson EPL-5800 laser printer and an Epson 870 Stylus Photo inkjet.

For the last year the system has worked faultlessly - with each computer using either printer, and the computers sharing folders.

Now, suddenly (without any changes in hardware, software or configuratins) they've all stopped communicating with each other. I can still print wirelessly from the Vista machine but not from the laptop. I can view the Dimension 5000 and the Inspiron 531 from the Vista machine (not the laptop), but nothing shows on the other computers when I look for the workgroup computers. Instead, I just kep getting this message:

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" (PS - I am the Administrator).

I have AVG Internet Security on all 3 computers, but that doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past. I've reinstalled the network several times but I'm now out of ideas. Really would be grateful for any help and hints - thanks!!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.