1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Workgroup is not accessible- may not have permission

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redoak, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

When I try to access my network from a computer I just added to the existing 'Workgroup," this error message appears:
    1850 HOUSE (workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this system resource.

FYI, I am the system administrator.

What needs to be done?

Thanks, {redoak}

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My first suspicion for that error is a non-Windows firewall or security suite blocking.

3. redoak

My firewall is Windows. At this point I have no security suites or individual programs installed.

I wanted to try using the Transfer Wizard to load the new computer from an existing one. That is why I put the new computer in the network early.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What OS? Have you enabled file sharing?

Make sure the following services are Started (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Location Awareness
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

5. redoak

Thanks for the instruction, "TN."

Unfortunately, I find myself in "deep trouble" this morning. When I try to activate my "XP Home" OS within VMwP, the attached error message comes up.

Is this file supposed to be located in the virtual computer or in the 'host,' Ws 7?

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    According to this article it should be in the folder (on your host) that represents the virtual machine.

On your Windows 7 do you have a folder C:\Users\CGS\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Home Edition? This would also be seen as Virtual Machines\Windows XP Home Edition in "My Documents." If so, what are the contents of the folder?

If no such folder, search your entire computer for the 'Virtual Machines' folder,. If you find it, where is it?

I have never used VMWare Player, so may not be able to help much on this, but I think that the above actions and questions are a necessary start.

7. redoak

Once again, thanks!

This is the second time that file has become "lost." The first time I searched for it, even using two recovery programs, to no avail. I'll follow you instructions just the same.

I am of the mind to "deep six" "Player" and move to a new virtual system. What one do you employ? Other suggestions?

8. redoak

I used my favorite search program-Search Everything- to look for "virtual machine." It came up with what looks like what you asked for. See the attachment for its contents.

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd be making regular backups of that entire folder.

Oracle's VirtualBox. When you started this quest I remember several people whose opinion I respect said that VMWare Player is better than VirtualBox. I have kept using VirtualBox because in my light use of it the annoyances (frequent updates and frequent updates to the "Guest Additions") do not outweigh the inconvenience of switching to something different.

Learn to use Windows 7. :D Sorry, you gave me the opening and I had to take advantage. :)

I forget--what are the reasons for sticking with XP this way? Any programs or procedures that don't work in Windows 7?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm trying to get you some help on the file/folder issue.

11. redoak

I had some helpful further info this morning when I tried to open my OS inside "Player". There was specific info that the needed file was: Windows XP Home Edition.vmdk

That file is NOT in the Ws7 'VM' folder. See attached that shows the extensions.

"Everything" could not find any file with that extension.

Attached Files:

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't understand what the issue is. The title of the thread is related to some type of workgroup issue, but the posts are about missing files?

I don't know how you could "lose" files regardless of what program creates them. Do you have a malware problem? Does someone else use the computer? This is not a virtual systems problem. This is a larger system problem.

Workgroup names should not contain spaces.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The thread title and first 4 posts are no longer applicable. The issue is file(s) that went missing May 10 (post # 5).

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Ok. Let's start from the beginning.

What program are you using to create the virtual systems?
    What are the exact steps you're taking to open the virtual machine you created?
    What is the full path to where you're storing the virtual machine information?
    What is the full path and full file name, including extension of the "Windows XP Home Edition" file in Post #8?
    What is the full path to the files in Post #11?

15. redoak

I will do my best to give you the info requested.

1- VirtualMachineware-Player
    2- Activate VMwP from host's (Ws7) desktop; double click the one and only virtual OS- XP Home
    3- Ws7>CGS>Documents>Virtual Machines>Windows XP Home Edition
    4- See attachment to post #11
    5- Ws7>Documents>Virtual Machines>Windows XP Home Edition

Interestingly, I noticed on one of the dialog (sp?) boxes (large) that came after I was told the needed file wasn't in place, that "Settings" could be reached from there. I clicked on the button(?) and "Settings" came up. I was able to make changes just as if the virtual machine were running.

Your interest and help is much appreciated. If clarifications or more info is needed, I'll do my best.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice