1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Workgroup name change will not stick

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AnotherAlan, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnotherAlan

AnotherAlan Thread Starter

Hi,
    Has anyone come across anything like this before?
    Running WinXPSP3 with Norton Internet Security, with Windows firewall disabled.
    On trying to set the workgroup name using the network setup wizard, the name appears to be correctly changed but on completion it reverts to the default MSHOME, and Windows Firewall turns back on.
    Alan

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uninstall Norton and use the Norton Removal Tool. Get the workgroup fixed and then think if you want to install Norton again. :)

3. AnotherAlan

JohnWill, thanks for the comment but I can't reinstall Norton as it is part of the pre-installed setup provided by Dell and I do not have the installation discs - so I prefer to not uninstall it. I had no problems until today - have you heard of any incompatibilites of this kind before? Alan

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Seldom does a day go by that we don't learn of a new problem caused by Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Comodo or one of the other suspects. :rolleyes:

Try setting the workgroup name w/o the wizard. Right click on My Computer - Properties - and you'll see how to do it. Have to reboot for the change to take effect.

5. vicks

vicks

Chances are, that the pre-installed Norton, (usually a trial edition) has run out. There are several free anti-virus and anti malware programs available that are just as effective or even better, w/o using so much of the computer's resources....
    If you need some suggestions, post back and someone will provide that for you. JohnWill and TerryNet are very good at helplig with network problems.

Vicks

6. AnotherAlan

Well, I tried a few more times to get this working (involving resetting the laptop to factory defaults by copying the build from a hidden partition, then installing all the updates for the last 5 years), doing the updates in different orders - I came to the conclusion that one of the more recent updates to NAV and one of the more recent updates to Windows give rise to a conflict.

I couldn't find anything hinting at this on the Symantec forum or Windows KB.

So the eventual solution was as suggested: uninstall NAV and replace it with AVG plus Zonealarm plus Adaware.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice