Solved: Workgroup. PC A can access B but not the other way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ClickCardo

I have two computers AA and BB on a workgroup WRKGRP. I have ZoneAlarm installed on
both. I am logged on as Administrator with password PW on both. I have a folder
FLDR on drive C: on both. I can view FLDR and it's files from BB on pc AA in
My Network Places, but when I try the reverse to access FLDR from AA on BB I get
\\AA is not accessible. Access denied.

I've tried this with the Firewall completely turned off (not running on either pc)
with the same result. I've check and WRKGRP is the workgroup name on both from
My Computer/properties/computer name. I can ping from BB using both the ip address
of AA and the computer name successfully. I have repaired the winsock in case of
corruption. I have done a repair from control_panel/network_connections/lan_connection.

I really do not want to uninstall ZoneAlarm due to the large number of settings made.
Can anybody help me out with some other alternatives?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Can you ping AA by name? Try these two commands.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

TerryNet

Terry
"I really do not want to uninstall ZoneAlarm due to the large number of settings made.
Can anybody help me out with some other alternatives?"

One obvious possibility is that you have Zone Alarm's trusted zone properly configured on BB but not on AA. Is Zone Alarm the one that you have to enable Trusted Zone in addition to putting the proper addresses into the Trusted Zone?

If your getting an access denied message, you could try turning off "Simple File Sharing" from TOOLS => FOLDER OPTIONS => VIEW then scroll down to the bottom of the advanced settings. Turning this option off will give you complete control of user access like in server 2003/win2k. This is available in WinXP Pro but in XP Home you have to set the access from safe mode.

ClickCardo

yes. I can ping both ways by computer name.

Both computers are XP Pro SP2.

I've only ever used simple file sharing. How do I find out how to do the other and how complicated is it?

Thanks.

Also check that the Win XP firewall is disable and/or check its settings.

One of my friends ran into this problem trying to connect to his wifes laptop.

It turn out that her Win XP firewall had got re-enabled and the File and Printer Sharing under the Exceptions tab was unchecked.

To check this, open the Control Panel > click on the Security Center icon

Under Manage security settings for:

click Windows Firewall

Exceptions tab

Make sure there is a check by File and Printer Sharing

ClickCardo

JohnWill said:
Can you ping AA by name? Try these two commands.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
JW

Did both to no effect.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
-----------------------------------------------------
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

ClickCardo

John. Thanks for the great detailed list. See my comments in BOLD in your Quote.

JohnWill said:
Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

I did every one of these, except delete the Zone Alarm install file, to no effect.
I also re-ran the Network Setup Wizard on both machines.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Checked both of these and they are OK.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.
I do not know anything about security policies, but were under the impression they were only for Domain networks. I'm not sure how to follow thru with the details you've given

OTHER NEW DETAILS

They both go thru a wired Linksys router.

I completely uninstalled the ZA firewall and made sure Windows Firewall was off on both PCs each time.

I completely reinstalled XP Pro SP1 on computer BB, updated it to SP2 and applied all other updates. I ran the Network Wizard. I made a shared folder again, this time two of them. I still have the same situation except now when I go into My Network Places on AA I do not see any of the new shares on BB.

But if I work down the My Network Places chain of ENTIRE NETWORK/Microsoft Windows Network/Workgrp on the AA pc I see the BB pc. When I click on BB I see the shares and can access the files. When I try it the other way I see the AA pc, but clicking on it producess Access Denied message.

TerryNet

Terry
I think in all that you said that you uninstalled Zone Alarm on AA, and still got "access denied." Given that, I'm guessing that you have some type of registry corruption. Some people have "solved" this by a new XP install; others have succeeded with the following registry change. Of course, advisable to set a restore point or otherwise save the registry before messin' with it.

1. Start > Run > regedit.exe
2. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Lsa
3. Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1 or 2.
4. Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.
5. The value should be REG_DWORD and Hexadecimal Base. (That's the default for that key)
6. Restart your computer and access the resources on that PC, it should work properly if restrictanonymous was non-zero.

ClickCardo

TerryNet

I solved my problem with the following someone suggest on another forum.

Mapping a drive (something I had not tried before) with "connect using a different user name" did the trick. Then I could Browse the shares from the Map Drive dialog box. Once I mapped one share then it must have set everything off. After that power down/up did not matter. Burrowing down thru My Network Places seemed to work.

Glad I did not have to turn to RegEdit.

Thanks for your help.

CC

Try this: Uninstall then reinstall "File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks" service for your LAN connection:

Control Panel
Network Connections
Rightclick properties on your LAN connection
General tab
Click File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
Click Uninstall
Click Install
Click Service and click Add..
Select File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks, click OK and then OK to close window.

I had the same problem and this fixed it 100%.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online