1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: workgroups mainserver does not "see" a computer in the group,windows xp profe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andynic, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi,

I think this is related to an earlier (solved) post that I put up a while ago with title " logical name for the ip address of a node in a Windows XP Worgroup".

Everything is working correctly but I cannot see the shared network printer from the new computer. All other computers can print from the printer except for this new computer. When I try to add a new printer from control panel --> Printers and Faxes, when I browse for the computer, none show up in the list.

I suspect that a related problem is that the main sever does not "see" the new computer.

From the new computer I can ping the main server and open files that are stored on that server.
    But when I try to ping the the new computer, the ping command times out with no reply.

Where do I need to look to resolve this?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. You are dealing with a newbie at this stuff.

Thanks,
    Andynic

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Is the Firewall in the "new" computer set to allow File and Printer Sharing? Can the new computer ping itself and other computers in the Workgroup?

3. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi Saga Lout,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The new computer cannot ping itself:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig
    Windows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.66
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.1
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.3.66
    Pinging 192.168.3.66 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 192.168.3.66:
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),

But it does successfully ping the main server:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.3.14
    Pinging 192.168.3.14 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.3.14: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

If I repeat (1) on the main server, it also cannot ping itself, but it can ping computers in the workgroup except for the "new" one.

All the non-main-server computers behave as in (1) above.

Thanks for your help,
    Andynic

4. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

4. Above should say "(1) and (2)" above.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I wonder why the new machine has been assigned 3.66 - how many others are there in the Network? Can you give it a manual setting for experimental purposes only? One other possibility which could partly isolate one machine and make it appear to behave badly is cabling. Could there be a crossover mixed in with straights or vice versa?

6. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi Saga Lout,

I chose the IP address off the top of my head (as I say, I am a newbie and not always sure of what I am doing).
    I will check all the other computers, and use another address closer in the range to the existing ones (I did not originally set this system up and there is no documentation.) However I won't be able to get to this until I am back from holiday end of May. (I'm also retired and this is volunteer work for a volunteer organization.)

In the meantime from what you said in your first post, I solved the printer problem by truning off the symantec firewall temporarily. I was able to then see the printer and add it. I then turned the firewall back on. So that was successful.

I will thereofre mark this problem solved, and if the new IP address does not work next time I am at the office, I will put a new post up at that time.

Thanks for your help,
    Andynic

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You're more than welcome. Perhaps allowing automatic DHCP to assign random addresses rather than statics will help if it does come down to that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice