Solved: working on laptop and can't get it to connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cj2448

I am working on a friends laptop and need to run a scan, however, I can't get the dang thing to connect to the internet.

I am plugging in my cable modem to back of laptop, it shows that the connection is running under control panel/show all connections, it shows Local Area Conection Broadcom yada yada...however when I click on E it comes up not working. When I unplug my cable modem to come back here and post her laptop says Local area connection network cable is unplugged.

Also in the network connections menu is AOL, says disconnected, 1394 Connection, don't know what this is, but it is enabled, I tried by disabling, still didn't work, and Wireless Network connection, I tried this enabled and disabled, still nothing.

I've got to run an active scan to move to the next step...HELP :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you power cycle the cable modem when you changed the attached device? Anytime the MAC address of the attached network device changes, you MUST cycle power on the modem.

cj2448

JohnWill said:
Did you power cycle the cable modem when you changed the attached device? Anytime the MAC address of the attached network device changes, you MUST cycle power on the modem.
Thanks John, DUH, didn't even think of that...I unplugged/replugged the modem, connected right away. Thanks a heap!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.