Solved: Works files WPS & XLR

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justkay

I cannot open these files, which someone sent to me via email. I have XP PRO & Office. When I bought my Dell PC, it came with Works but I deleted it. Is it on the reinstallation CD I got from Dell? If so, how can I find it & just reinstall it alone?

calvin-c

Banned
You should be able to use System Recovery to selectively re-install software, but I don't think you need to. According to this post http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11739 simply renaming the XLR files to XLS allows Excel to open them, and there's also an import filter for Works files that can be added to Word if it's not already present. (I didn't look that up as it should be available from your Office CD's.)

justkay

The rename worked for the spreadsheet file. Yeah!

I do not see anything on my Office CD that looks like an import filter.

I have never used System Recovery with the installation disk. How does it work?

justkay

Found an online site, Zamzar, that easily converts the WPS file type to DOC. I saved the converted files in my documents & now can access then using Word.

Thank-you for your help, calvin-c!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online