1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: worried

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by star_girl_k, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. star_girl_k

star_girl_k Thread Starter

I had a massive accident with some nail varnish remover and spilt it all over the number pad on my keyboard.
    I've cleaned it with a damp cloth and turned it upside down to let all the nail varnish remover out but I'm worried it will harm my pc??
    I also got it on my mouse mat which the mouse was on at the time.
    Will it harm my pc?
    help:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

As long as it is fully dried and the pc runs you are fine, and varnish remover dries pretty quickly. is this a laptop or desktop and how does it connect if desktop?

3. star_girl_k

Its a desktop and it connects by wire

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Safest is to buy a new keyboard or switch to another one with a different port as many are Ps2 or usb with adapter but keyboards are not expensive and this one will not doubt not work right anyway now.

5. star_girl_k

All the numbers which I spilt it on are working fine.
    If I still use this one even though it works could it harm my pc

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will not harm your machine, and I suspect you'll never see any ill-effects if they haven't happened already. Just use it, if it craps out, get a new keyboard. :)

I'd also stop using nail polish remover over the keyboard! :D

7. star_girl_k

cheers;)
    thanks for all the help:)

8. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

See I would not do that as keyboards are inexpensive and I have seen them go backwards and kill the port they are plugged into if Ps2.

10. star_girl_k

whats ps2?

11. star_girl_k

I'm confused :s
    How can it ruin the port?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

There are 2 types of mouse ports mainly used today. Ps 2 and usb and there are some older serial port mice still around as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
    It is a component that conveys an electronic signal through a port to the system. A short, caused by whatever spills on a keyboard can easily short out the port. I can give you my son-in-laws phone number who basically blew away both Ps2 ports by spilling a beer on his Ps2 keyboard. Or my daughter who did it with coffee, maybe? Dry now, this is certainly less likely but still possible because if what you spilled is a normal oily remover, it may not be dry yet as well.

13. JohnWill

I think you're inventing problems where none exist. :rolleyes:

While you can invent a scenario where a PS/2 keyboard might damage the port, it would involve a direct short across the +5V, something that's VERY UNLIKELY to occur in this scenario.

As far as USB is concerned, you can short the four wires from a USB port in any combination without damage to the port.

Please explain where this "danger" is coming from?

BTW, nail polish remover is NOT conductive, try a test and see for yourself.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

So you want the phone number? I know it sounds crazy but I saw it twice.

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I believe nail polish remover is mostly acetone. That stuff isn't going to hurt anything if it hasn't hurt it already. You can clean a dirty CPU with acetone.

Granted the nail polish remover has some "smell pretties" in it that normal acetone doesn't. The stuff most likely dried within a few minutes and if it didn't short yet, it isn't going to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!