Solved: Would Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Solve My Problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kapustin Yar

Hi,

I had a worm in my computer. I think its gone now. I used Trend Micro System Cleaner. I think its gone because I can open up my C drive now and I can install anti-virus applications which I couldn’t do before. However there seems to be some residual damage. IE8 Still doesn’t work (but FF does) and every time I click a link in Google I get redirected to somewhere else. Also HiJack-This closes down every time I try to run a system scan.

My question is:

Is my worm still active, or is this just damaged registry entries or something else? I have run Trend Micro and Avast and I haven’t found anything.

I don’t have a Vista disk. It didn’t come with my laptop, so I can’t reinstall VISTA to fix the registry. Can I install Windows 7 Beta to fix the registry? I’m scheduled to receive my own copy in late October or early November.

I have downloaded IE8 and tried to reinstall but no joy.

aka Brett

Banned
In theory the upgrade will do a repair...note though that not all upgrades go as planned..if it were me though I would go for it..if confident the worm is gone

beta is expired you will need rc

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Kapustin Yar,
What is the make and model of this Vista machine?
You should have a "System recover" partition which allows the machine to be rebuilt to Factory settings.
Also one can normally order the Vista DVDs form the OEM.

TerryNet

Terry
Windows 7 RC is no longer available, but you can still get a product key if you already have a downloaded RC. Unless you already have 7 RC it's probably best to with DaveA's advice.

Kapustin Yar

Hi gang,

Thanks for all the replies. I took your advice Dave and found my reset button. I got to back to the factory settings and have spend the last 24 hours reinstalling all the drivers. Luckily it only has been 6 weeks so its not bad,

Problem solved:rolleyes::p:D(y):cool:

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
PS My computer specs are available by clicking the icon next to my name,
But no make or model is listed. That is just as important as the other stuff.
Not only that, you also list a Laptop, but it is cut off, so how is one to know which machine you are having issues with?

Kapustin Yar

Its not cut off on my pc. Its clearly listed. One says laptop above it and the other says desktop.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
BUT, you still need to tell us WHICH machine you are having issue with and a make and model on the desktop would help more.

Kapustin Yar

Sorry Dave you didn't catch it but here is the question again:

My question is:

Is my worm still active, or is this just damaged registry entries or something else? I have run Trend Micro and Avast and I haven’t found anything.

I don’t have a Vista disk. It didn’t come with my laptop, so I can’t reinstall VISTA to fix the registry. Can I install Windows 7 Beta to fix the registry? I’m scheduled to receive my own copy in late October or early November.

I have downloaded IE8 and tried to reinstall but no joy.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your TOSHIBA should have a "System Recovery" partition it. With is you can rebuild your system to the "Factory Settings" which will be a clean install of the OS. This should get rid of the worm, but any file that you restore from Backup needs to be scanned to make sure that they are not infected.

Kapustin Yar

Thanks Dave, but you need to read post 5 again. I didn't have a backup to I had to reinstall everything manually.

Anyway, everything is okay now. Bye...:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online