1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wow install issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ewok2040, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

ok so i need some help.......i just got this comp setup from my bro......amd athalon xp 3000, 1024 ram, agp ati radeon 9700, eberything else onboard asus a7n8x deluxe and so i installed wow and i get to watch the beginning movie but it freezes right after that and i tried to stop the auto restart but i still dont get the error so i dont know what is wrong......i know that he had been playing it on this setup so i know it will work......ive d/led all the updated drivers.....atleast i think they are all up to date......any ideas as to what my problem might be????? or what i can do to help determine what my issue is

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, If this holds true your card is no longer supported by any new drivers. So I would guess it's a driver issue.
    Found a working download link if you want to try the Omega Drivers.
    http://www.3dacc.net/page.php?id=2326
    The link is at the bottom of the first post there. Should be for Driver version 3.8.252.
    Or you can look for the older version of the official ATI drivers. My guess would be to search for Catalyst 6.5 and see if that works.

3. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

thank you and do i need to uninstall the ati drivers first

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yes.
    Uninstall, reboot... Then install any new ones.

Edit: Many have recommended using Driver Cleaner to help remove left over files.
    Just be sure to follow the "read me" instructions.
    Found a free version here; http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
    I do use it myself, but if your not comfortable using it.. don't bother. :D

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

6. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

ok so i did the uninstall and then installed the omega drivers and i still get the same thing......after the video is done the screens just goes out.......it just turns the screen to colored lines.

7. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

and i have installed the 6.5 drivers and it still does the same thing........i cant figure this out......i know that my bro had it working, but I have new hd than he had so im not really sure what is different

8. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

and ive just tried to play spore and that does the same thing....gets so far then the screen goes funky....lines and some weird objects in the background......could it be the video card itself?

9. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Sure sounds like it. Artifacts and lines are often a sign of a dead card.
    Had my Radeon die like that. Playing WoW of all games. Was in an instance and suddenly went to "light speed".. Coloerd lines all over, couldn't see anything.

Could be your 3D rendering has gone bad. See if you can borrow a card from your bro or someone and test it out.

Also, I'm sure it is, but you didn't mention it so... Be sure DirecX is up to date as well.

10. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

yea directx is up to date......and i do find it odd that it would just quit like that....i mean he was useing it to play wow just before giving it to me......and i questioned him about it and he says that i must be doing something wrong. the only other thing that i was thinking was maybe i had the wrong chipset drivers...causeing some kinda of video error....but i only get this problem when im trying to play games.........but i dont know a whole lot about video issues so it very well could b my video card. I did just run burnin test to test it out and it says that there are no errors...says its all good

11. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

and i did forget to mention that im useing the vid card now......dont know if that will matter much to ya but i thought that i should mention it

12. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, when mine died it worked just fine for standard use.. I could surf the net even watch movies.. I just couldn't play games that used 3D rendering.

It happens fast and without warning. It could just be bad luck is all.
    Maybe a voltage or BIOS setting, but sounds like the card just had enough.

13. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

i was wondering if you know of a prog that i could test the card with.......im new with the benchmarking so i wasnt sure if there was something i could test it with...i am looking for new card just wanna b sure that i have to get one.........lack of work sux when u need to fix things...lol

14. sup2a

sup2a

Just be sure its not overheating before jumping into buying a new card, download speedfan or Everest and check the temperatures, clean out the case of dust and post temperatures here

15. Ewok2040

Ewok2040 Thread Starter

so how do i get the temp of the video card.....i have speed fan and it doesnt say vid card just temp and number

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice