1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WP12 freezes when typing and editing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kimmer13, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Our Wordperfect 12 has recently begun freezing altogether when we type or edit. We can open WP just fine. We can open an existing document. We can delete graphics and text boxes from the existing document. Printing is not a problem. But we cannot edit the text, add text, or type into a new blank document.

I am thinking something with the grammar check / spell check is messed up, causing the freeze whenever triggered by the typing. Does this sound logical to those of you with more familiarity with WP12? I am thinking to reinstall over the top, or uninstall/reinstall, but don't want to lose all the custom toolbars/macros etc...

I would appreciate a second opinion here. I'm going in tomorrow to try to resolve it. Thanks!

2. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

After trial and error, we've isolated the freeze up. WP12 completely freezes and we lose our mouse & cursor if we type (anything) and then press the spacebar. New doc / existing doc, doesn't matter.

So of course I'm thinking the inline spell check (or whatever WP calls it) or grammar check or quickwords is fried. Some part of WP that is using the spacebar as an indicator that the word is finished and goes to check it... but can't.

FWIW, this started when the user had been in WP for quite a while, creating docs, editing docs, etc. A document on her screen, she paused to answer a phone call. Then turned back to the computer, typed a word, then hit "SPACE", and that was that.

Today I went in and tried the following: Using WP12 Office CD, tried to "Repair". No change. Then chose the reinstall all files option - no change.
    Then uninstalled WP12 office. Deleted directories left behind (moved user docs to another place). Restarted Windows. Opened registry and found lots of orphan keys related to WP12 that didn't get deleted. Closed registry without making any changes. Used the CD to install WP12 'fresh'. No change, except now all the custom toolbars, quickwords lists, macros, are not seen (which I expected, and can put back on from the copies I put elsewhere).

What am I missing? Please, any ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance.

3. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

ideas? anybody?

4. coachdan32

coachdan32

Sorry, don't know anything about WP - it sounds like a potential driver problem.

5. Shyster

Shyster

I Am Having The Same Problem. Any Advice?

6. Shyster

Shyster

Corel Is A Uselss Piece Of Junk. I Had The Same Problem With Their Three Previous Versions. I Was Execting A Miracle The Fourth Time Around

7. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

Yes we solved the problem, here is how:
    1. Using control panel's Add/Remove programs, locate WP12 and click on Add/Remove. Follow the prompts to uninstall it. Restart Windows when complete.

2. Run the Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft. If WP12 shows up on the list, select it and click Remove. Click OK on the next screen. When done you can close the program.

3. Remove the following folders and any subfolders that each might have:
    C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12
    C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12 Try Before You Buy
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Shared\Writing Tools\12
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Corel\PerfectExpert\12
    NOTE: This folder contains the WordPerfect default template.
    My Documents\CCWin
    NOTE: This folder contains the WordPerfect Address Book.
    My Documents\Corel User Files
    NOTE: This folder contains your WordPerfect User Word List and the WordPerfect Projects list.
    C:\Windows\Corel
    NOTE: This folder contains install information for all Corel Products. If you have other Corel Products, like CorelDRAW, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Corel Painter, etc. do not remove this folder unless you are having problems installing this product due to a conflict.
    4. Edit the Registry. Take your time on this step - there is no 'undo' if you make a mistake! *
    Click on Start and select Run...
    In the Open box, type REGEDIT
    Click on the OK button [ *once open you may 1st want to Registry/Export and export the whole thing as a backup b4 continuing ]
    Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
    If you do not have any other Corel programs, like CorelDRAW, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Corel Painter, etc. you can delete the entire Corel folder. If you do have other Corel Applications, open the Corel folder and remove the following subfolders:

Dad
    EquationEdit
    PerfectPrint
    PerfectScript
    PrintEngine
    WordPerfect
    WordPerfect Suite
    WritingTools
    Repeat the step above in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE
    Close the registry editor
    Restart the computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now WP12 is completely gone and we freshly re-installed.

*** This left us with needing to reapply the service pack ***

FYI, Switching to Word is not an option for this user.

Hope this helps Shyster -
    Kimmer

8. xpotter

xpotter

I haven't tried your cure for what ails my wp12, but this is definitely the BEST example of what to do. For your info, my problem began about 10 days ago with "Writing tools internal error" and a lot of time spent with WPU was useless. I still would love to know what "writing took internal error" actually means because its a new one to me. When the repairs are made, I will get back to you with the results.
    ps your spell check is Terrifc!

9. xpotter

xpotter

Before I was going to take in order each of your suggestion, I looked into QP and presentations. I found that in QP spell check etc was working perfectly as well as spell-as you go too. In Presentation, the program froze when I tried spell check. Does this change anything I should be doing???????????? Thanks again

10. xpotter

xpotter

Hi kimmel- you might have solved a problem I have had for months. I will try it but I cannot find Installer Cleanup Utility . I have looked akk over. I actually solved the problem but hate the solution. I created a second administrator account and low and behold wp woked perfectly! But, in a perfet world one account is all I want so If I can findInstaller Cleanup Utility I will try your elegant solution and remove my second account. Hope to hear from you soonest.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice