1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WPA As Security Setting?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Herringbone, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Herringbone

Herringbone Thread Starter

My N300 wireless router is dual band, but you can only set 1 band for the highest security setting, WPA2-PSK. The other band stays at WPA-PSK, regardless...

Is the WPA-PSK setting still reliable as a WiFi security setting?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Certainly interesting! I wonder why we haven't heard more in the four+ years since that article. ???

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I had not realized that the article was that old. I'll see if I can find something more recent than that.

6. Herringbone

So...there is a possibility WPA might not be as secure as thought...?

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Personally, I see no reason to use WPA unless there are problems using WPA2, which terrynet said is pretty common. To me, WPA can be comprised, but I think for most home users, WPA is still considered secure. I think for it to be compromised would require someone who really knows what they are doing and it would definitely would have to be a targeted attack. For the majority of home users, they will never experience this type of sophisticated attack.

8. Herringbone

Right, I'd prefer not to use WPA, but my Tenda N60 Dual-Band Router doesn't let you select WPA2 for both bands simultaneously--go figure....

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would just make sure to use a long, auto generated password. You should be fine then. When googling whether or not WPA is secure, I see too many varied opinions to make a definite answer.

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If it's that much of a concern, I'd just replace the router with one that has the ability to do WPA2 on both bands. Dual band routers are so inexpensive now with the capability to do WPA2 on both channels I'd spend the money versus wasting any more time on this issue.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Agreed

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice