1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wpa pass phrase confusion

Discussion in 'Networking' started by notdbritest, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

I'm totally lost on this one. We have a wifi network at home using wpa/wpa2 encryption. our laptops log on just fine with the code. We have a couple of new android phones which insist on a pass phrase after the code is input. I know nothing about a pass phrase. No pass phrase shows up when I log into the router--I get ips address, gateway, and a whole mess of info, but no info about a pass phrase.

Does anyone have any idea what this pass phrase is all about and where I can find it?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The passphrase will be right after the WPA/WPA2 encryption selection in the router configuration pages. It is the encryption key used with WPA(2).

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Depending on your device, the passphase is also known as a network key, security key, and pre-shared key. I assume when you said 'code' you meant the PIN?

4. notdbritest

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help.

TerryNet--I will log into the router again and try to find this key. I do not remember there being anything like that on the configuration page. It's a dlink router if that makes a difference.

Couriant--the "code" I mention is 64 characters. I think it is properly known as the encryption key, but I could be totally wrong on that. All I know for sure is that's the key I put into the network configuration utility on the laptops, and they logged right onto the network, no other info was needed. I put the same key into the wifi log-on screen on the phones, and they ask for a "pass phrase" in addition to that. I was a *bit* frustrated by the time I thought to check in here for help, so my terminology may have been incorrect. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't figure this out on my own...

Will be back later this morning with an update.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not all D-Link routers are the same, but the configuration pages are similar. For DIR-615: Wireless Settings - Manual Wireless Network Setup - the "Pre-Shared Key" (passphrase) is not displayed so I would need to set a new one if I did not know it.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Then that sounds like a WEP key, not WPA.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A WPA(2) passphrase is a maximum of 63 characters and 256-bit WEP is 58 characters, so I really have no idea what those 64 characters represent.

8. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    there is a 64-bit WEP... is that what you meant?

If your laptops are XP > go to Start, Control Panel. Click on Network Connections (or Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connections). Right click on the wireless connection and click on properties. Then click on the Wireless Networks tab. Highlight your network in the Preferred Networks and click properties. What is the Network Authentication listed as?

If they are windows Vista/7 > go to Control Panel > Network and Internet (windows 7 only) > Network and Sharing Centre. On the blue section on the left, click on Manage Wireless Networks. Right click on your network can click on properties then the Security tab. What is the Security Type there?

9. notdbritest

Actually, it was 63, not 64.

tried the pass phrase on the bottom of the router, no success.

Gave up and called US Cellular; after about 90 minutes with them and Dlink support, we wiped/reset the phone. After doing so, using that string of characters as the password, the phone logged onto the network with no problem. No request for a pass phrase.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice