1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Write-protected "My Documents" and all files in it... can't transfer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexgou, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

A week ago I spilt a glass of red wine on my Dell 8600 notebook!! so i did what logic told me; put it up side down try clean it out and what not. in any case i saved the 60 gig hd (hitachi something or other)... and it seems to be working fine when i put it into a 2.5 hd case thingie. So from another laptop i can get into my old hard drive, where you can see program files, bitlord downloaded files, and all 50 gigs in use. The problem is My Documents...

I can go into my documents... and "see all the files", but the thumbnail images dont show up.. and when trying to transfer any of the documents in my documents, ex. jpegs... i get an error message " Cannot copy img_xxxx: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I don't seem to be using the file anywhere.. When i turn off the read-only in the entire folder and apply to all subfolders and files it just jumps back to read-only, and it won't burn on to a dvd. I also can't open the files obviously... what could be wrong? what can i do? PLEASE HELP! have most things backed up, but 6 months of pics and music down the drain?

2. stantley

stantley

3. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hi,

All files are read-only in Windows XP, however you may have other attributes holding you back from accessing the data. You should go into Safe Mode upon booting and log on as administator - if no password was used during installation on XP then leave the password field blank if requested.

Find the folder in question and right click, properties, security. From here, make sure you have all applicable access to the selected file or folder, done by changing permissions for the group your user is in (the one you log on as).

For more information visit here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418

Nick.

4. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

hey so i did that... aaaand there was already full permission to admin for everything.. problem now is that my documents shows 0 bytes in it in the properties thing. soo i uplug and plug the usb back in, let it autoplay and now it shows the folder is empty!!!! :'( im so lost...

5. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hey,

Go to Start > Run > Type diskmgmt.msc. A new window will open, does your drive show up here? If so, what is its current status?

6. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

healthy (active)... its really just my documents... i dunno if its a hitachi thing, or maybe i need to use a dell laptop with similar drivers or whatnot to access the hd again...??

7. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

That's highly unlikely alexgou. Are the files on a password protected account?

8. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

nope.. that's the thing.. its so strange. Im not that inproficient with computers so normally i figure things out on my own without having to post...
    im thinkin the problem lies within the read-only check box... maybe the fact that "my documents" fell under the admin account of my old laptop... it just won't allow me to access any files or transfer/copy-paste/burn them, tho i can see all of them. and there's def. full privileges for the admin of this laptop.. im so lost :'( im havin my dad take it to his office tomorrow maybe his tech guys can figure it out... ill post when i have an answer. if anything changes or i figure it out ill let you know. thanks anyways for the interest.

9. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Go to Start > Run > cmd > type attrib -r "#:\documents and settings\##\My Documents"

# Replace with your chosen drive letter for that drive
    ## Replace with your username/account name

Now see if you can access them or not and post back.

Nick.

10. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

ok so i did that and nothing... took me a while to see the space between r and " haha but then it supposedly performed the command and just jumped to a new C:\xxxxxx line.. i looked it up and that command should turn the read-only thing off right? damn man im so lost.. thanks for all ure help, let me know if you have any more ideas and are still interested hehe... ill keep lookin around also, ill post if the guys at the office figure something out..

11. prose072

prose072 Banned

I just hade the samr issue....what os are you running now?

12. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

xp home edition... I think the problem lies somewhere in the permission i have now to access My Documents from my old hard drive... I can "See" the files, but can't access them or copy them anywhere..

13. prose072

prose072 Banned

No problem....don't worry..I had the exact problem when I placed my old hard drive in my ew unit about three weeks ago, However I will not post this script command online vis that its part of a program I am writting concerning permission due to that issue. But this one line I will PM you if your setting are set to accept them or email you through use of this site or another means you decide that may work. Then follow the instructions. Let me when you are ready? It turns out to be aggravating, but simple after that. I reserve all rights to this command line :"script command" and copyright issues for the record.

14. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

oh man that'd be great... [email protected] if you would be willing, of course i won't copy etc i just want my **** back! haha :p thanks a lot

15. alexgou

alexgou Thread Starter

Prose072 saves the day! For any questions regarding this subject; not being able to access "My Documents" or any part of a harddrive in my case, and many other problems I'm sure, contact Prose072 through TechGuy! Thanks so much once again!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/605744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice