1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: writing a program to interface with other programs

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by gib88, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

There must be some mechanism that windows provides that allows an application programmed in whatever language to interface with other programs running on the same computer.

Specifically, I will be beginning a project soon in which I have to program in C# an application that reads from a dxf file and produces a plan/model from it in AutoCAD. It needs to communicate with AutoCAD and send it instructions (ex. draw line, make face, create new layer, etc.).

Does Windows have resources/mechanisms that allow one to do this?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So you think Microsoft should be responsible for creating the API's to interface with every application that runs on Windows?

3. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Well, when you're talking about one application running on Windows communicating with another application also running on Windows, I wonder why Windows wouldn't be interested in managing such communication. Isn't it the job of the OS to manage all the applications running on it plus their interactions?

But your point is taken - Windows does NOT managing such interactions - at least, it doesn't need to.

(That is, after all, my main question, so thanks for answering it - even if it was covertly).

4. sepala

sepala

Hi,

That is not practical isn't it? They have already provided all the neccesary Drivers and all so I think that is enough. If they do something like that then all the NON .NET programmers may face problems because they might have to add more code to deal with it. Apart from that, it might limit the things what you can do, what the PROGRAMMING language really can do.

5. sepala

sepala

So what is your final solution?

6. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

To look for APIs other than those provided by Windows.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The interprocess communications facilities are certainly available in Windows. It is up to the specific software package to use them or not use them. Look into OLE and ActiveX.

Also, of course, there are pipes and sockets.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice