1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wrong windows login password

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mapexmbirch, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mapexmbirch

mapexmbirch Thread Starter

My laptop has a finger print scanner which I never installed the driver for until now.

Basicly the login screen asks for a password, I didn't set a password only my finger print.

Does anyone know if this works
    [link removed by mod]
    Or have another idea, i have access to a windows key. So i cando a reinstall.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Perhaps a review of the Rules is in order:

I assume that you have tried a null password, since you say you did not set one.

I'll leave this open for now in case somebody knows how to encourage the system to use the fingerprint login.

3. Ke-Designz

Ke-Designz

When using a "Biometric Device" (Fingerprint Reader), Windows will allow for both logon methods to be used (i.e your current password, or using the "Fingerprint Reader"). You will have to use one of the following methods listed above, to regain access to your computer.

4. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

with no information here for the Make and Model of the laptop, can you try a search for [HP or Dell or ...] fingerprint reader, you'll get a lot of info about installing, using, manuals, default values, etc.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Having a computer with a fingerprint reader is a nice option. i have had 3 ibm/lenovo thinkpads with that but after getting locked out of one i said i will not even install the driver for them ever again. it was more of a nuisance than a usable feature.as stated above whatever brand and model of computer you have there should be info available to use it correctly so it wont be a problem for you.

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    What I would try to do is use system restore. This will allow you to revert back to a previous state of Windows, such as before you installed the finger print driver. For the majority of the time, Windows will automatically create a restore point before installing a driver. You can get there when your computer boots up and pressing one of the the f keys such as f2 or f8 etc. The key to press depends on the computer and manufacturer. So I would try to figure it out, but if you can't, post back the computer specs and I can look up which key it is you need to press to get to system restore.

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Also, I forgot to add, I'm assuming you tried scanning your finger, even though it doesn't ask for a finger print? My laptop did this when I first enrolled a fingerprint, but I also had a password set, so I don't remember if I tried my finger or used the password, even though it didn't ask for it. I would try it if you haven't.

8. mapexmbirch

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
    It is asking me for a password and my fingerprint.
    How do I do a system restore? I have a restore disk back home (over 100 miles away) which is
    very useful there.

The model is Dell Latitude E6400

9. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I just did it on mine and it is f11, then recover system, and system restore. Odd thing is that it still asked for a password and I have never seen that before (new laptop coming off of an old one). Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you. I would try that. I'll see if I can find the information for your computer.

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Try f8 or f12, and you will be loading for advanced boot options, or recovery options. Something like that.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

12. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yes, page 55 talks about system recovery with f8, as I mentioned earlier, so it should be there.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

14. mapexmbirch

I logged in to safe mode and disabled the secure login thing in 'Dell Embassy'. And it didn't ask me for a password then I restarted the computer and it worked!

Cheers guys for all the suggestions

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

Congratulations!

Thanks for posting your solution, and for marking the thread solved.

unsubscribed

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!