1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WRT54g home networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ballpark570, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ballpark570

ballpark570 Thread Starter

I have a WRT54g router. I have two computers hardwired to it in a home setting. The router is connected to an internet modem

Each PC is running windows XP

Each PC uses Zonealarm

How do I get them to see and share with one another securely without exposing the data from these PC's to the internet?

I read the Linksys users guide but did not understand it well enough to do what I want to do.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it's already secured enough, unless you have allowed all traffic into your network.

But if you want to make absolutley sure, in ZA allow your home network access, and ZA should ask you for permission to allow anyone into your machine, which you will deny, or it will block it flat.

3. ballpark570

OK, so it is secure..........

Now, If I want to get a file from the computer in the other room, how do I do that?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My Network Places. Make sure that File Sharing is on.

If the computer is not showing up, then ZA is blocking the sharing computer. You will need to configure ZA to allow your network traffic.

5. jackdw

jackdw

allow the 192.168.x.x IPs into the trusted zone. They are not internet IP addresses therefore cannot leak info to the net. Only locally over LAN.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, you should also secure that wireless configuration if you want to really have security. :)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You may want to narrow it down to the third octet... ie 192.168.1.x (or whatever your network id is)

8. jackdw

jackdw

I put two X's because I didn't know what range they use. I use .1.x but I know lots of routers use the .0.x range.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    :) I put .1.x because I just set up a new router which its default was .1.x

10. jackdw

jackdw

Oh sorry, thought post no7 was in response to me.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    :) no it was an addendum to your idea. While your idea would allow the networks 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.0, post 7 would narrow it to allow just the one.

12. ballpark570

Well I just could not figure out how to configure it . I spent about 4 hours before I just gave up and went and bought a copy of Network Magic for 30 bucks.

It was worth every penny. The hardest part was seeing the license key with these tired old eyes. I had my network up and running in about 10 minutes.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.

13. jackdw

jackdw

I had a demo of that and it was a pile of rubbish. Wouldn't go on my router, insisted on being in the startup menu, hard to uninstall...

Glad to know you got it sorted either way.

14. ballpark570

I was a little skeptical but it came down to costs.

It was going to cost me about 70 dollars to get a print server to access the USB printer which is downstairs attached to the desktop. There was a 30 day money back guarantee in large letters on the Network Magic box so I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

It seems to work flawlessly and it set up in just a few minutes. I think the GUI is good in that it is very simple.

It had no problem working with the linksys WRT54g router or Zonealarm nor all the other security apps.

The box says it is Vista ready.

I pretty much just wanted to be able to print to the printer downstairs from my laptop which is upstairs most of the time and it does that well so I am satisfied ........

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice