1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WXP- Home EDT.- Cannot connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sjeans, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjeans

sjeans Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Love Your sight.
    My question is this; My mother has a computer running Win XP-Home Edt. Its about 2 years old, (hardly used) She cannot connect to the internet, (her computer is working just fine otherwise).
    Here is her criteria of her computer Modem:
    Make: MDG; Horizon 2800TV; MODEK 56KMODEM; MSWORK2005;
    2.8 GHz C533; 256 MB DDRAM; D845GVFN

She is on a cable system.
    She has had a service technician at her place and over the phone numerous of times,from the cable co. They told her she needed a ethernet cord, so she went out and purchased on. That is not the problem.:rolleyes: We also done the unplugging and resetting of everything, switching the cord etc. Now just recently they came over one last time and told her she needed a enternet card (What is this & where would one obtain one:eek: ) She asked them (Service Tech) why this would have to be replaced:confused: They told her maybe she had been struck from a power surge. (Oh and by the way she has a power surger protector). I don't know who or what to do? Could they be right or is it they just don't know what's going on:confused: Any reply would be appreciated.
    Thank You in advance for your help.:D
    Shirley

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Also, I'd like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Was she ever able to connect to the internet using the same ISP and modem?

Most surge protectors are for A/C only, or A/C and phone line. Does your mother's also protect the ethernet line? If so, did you/she check both cables? I would more suspect the one between modem and surge protector than the one that goes to the computer.

4. sjeans

sjeans Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your quick response;

TerryNet: The answer to your question is yes she has had the internet working on this computer in question. All cables/lines has been checked and some has been replaced.
    She's had this computer for about 2 years (brand new) and her first hook-up was through the phone line, than about 1 year ago she had it hooked up to cable. Everything's been working fine up until 1 1/2 months ago.

JohnWill: I haven't been able to get down to my mothers until last night. She's been without the internet for about 1 1/2 months ago and I quess she got fed up with not having the service and still having to pay for it. So without my knowledge she had the internet turned-off on Monday Nov. 5:confused: (but she is getting hooked up again as soon as she finds out what do to with the computer, we'll just have to take it one step at a time) But I however did what you asked me to do (don't know if this information will still be useful, but here it is;) )

Under Network Adapters;

Network adapters:
    x intel (R) Pro/100 VE Network connection

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (I had to print this one out at her place and I scanned it on my computer at work, for some reason her disc drive is not working- unrelated to this issue)

IPCONFIG / ALL (as follows)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Joey>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Joey>IPCONFIG / ALL

Error: unrecongnized or incomplete command line.

USAGE:
    Ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
    /flushdns | /displaydns | / registerdns |
    /showclassid adapter |
    /setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
    adapter Connection name
    (wildcard character * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:
    /? Display this help message
    /all Display full configuration information.
    /release Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
    /renew Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
    /flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
    /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
    /displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
    /showclassid Dislplay all the dhcp class IDS allowed for adapter.
    /setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
    default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
    Leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released of renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

Examples:
    > ipconfig ... show informantion
    > ipconfig /all ... show detailed information
    > ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters
    > ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its
    name starting with EL
    > ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,
    eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or
    "Local Area Connection 2"

C:\Documents and Setting\Joey>

Thank You again for your response, Have a great day:) (y)

(and if you cannot read in this post what you needed to see, I'll understand why and will get back to you when I mother reconnects her internet. Which will be soon, sometimes she just gets a little ahead of herself)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you get that USAGE: information the implication is that you messed up and here is how to type a correct command. Note that it includes "/all" which corresponds to JohnWill's "/ALL". Case doesn't matter, but spaces do. You had "/ ALL" in your command line.

Please show an ipconfig /all after she gets her internet service (assuming that her PC does not connect).

6. sjeans

sjeans Thread Starter

Hello once again,

We now have the internet hooked back up again. I did what you asked, at end of this message(from previous log; done a config file)
    same problem as before computer is not recognizing that the internet is hooked up. All lights are on on the cable modem box except the middle one, it is flashing, ( sometimes it will stay on but most of the time it will flash) They came down to look at it said the cable modem box is fine. :)
    Can you tell by the file that I sent you if she needs something for her computer ( like an Internet Card:confused: ), does she have something not turned on:confused:
    Remember she had a few technicians down to her house and they couldn't resolve the problem.
    This is our last hope, if it is something minor we can do it if not we will have to have it sent out. Hope you can help
    Thank you in advance for all your help

C:\Documents and Settings\Joey>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mycomputer
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-21-28-14

7. Pookie

Pookie

the media not connected msg on your post means cable not connected, check to make sure its connected in the right spot at both ends. After that try these steps to check .

first thing is to test the ethernet card itself.
    open up a dos window (start- run and type cmd and hit ok)
    at the prompt type ping 127.0.0.1
    if you get a response of a ping time ect then your card is good.
    next make sure there is a cable plugged into the card, if so is there a green link light on near where you plugged it in. this shows there is a physical connection. if not you either have a bad cable or a bad port on the router.
    after this is done and if you still dont have internet then open up your network connections properties on the computer.(start>my network places> network connections>local area connections> right click on local area connection> properties> click internet protocol tcp/ip>
    properties> and make sure its set to obtain ip address automatically.

if all this is done and you still dont have internet then u have a more serious problem I dont wish to address over the msg board.
    Best of luck to you.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The loopback test (ping 127.0.0.1) does not prove that a card is good.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with Pookie. The cable, or the modem port, or the PC's ethernet adapter is bad. Do the ethernet LEDs light on the modem and the PC when the cable is plugged it? Is it a known good cable?

OK, just reread your first post. There are two cables to try--the original and a new one, right? So, it appears that the NIC is bad.

You can get a USB ethernet adapter, but I do not recommend it and know that JohnWill advises against it.

For a desktop get a PCI ethernet card; you have to open the case to install but it does not take a mechanic or an engineer to do it.

For a laptop get a PCMCIA (Notebook) ethernet card. Newer laptops use an Express card, but I expect the two year old PC to not use this kind.

9. sjeans

sjeans Thread Starter

Good Morning,
    I done the ethernet ping test. (Below is the result)
    That was last night when I went to my mothers
    It wasn't until today that I read the last post.
    The PC Cable is new. ( We purchased it ourselves)
    I unplugged everything from the beginning. I disconnected all plugs, cable and wires and started from the scratch. I restarted the router. I done everything physical possible to it (except picking it up and heaving it out the door).
    The green link light on back of the router is now not on, it was when I first connected it but now is not. Could this be the problem:confused: It is a new one.

It feels like I'm going around in circles, What I'm going to do is pickup her Tower and bring it home with me and plug it into my network which is also on cable but with a different provider. This way I'll know if it is her tower or her router. Because I can't get pass the idea that it is her computer because she hardly used it. I'll let you know the results in a few days or so.
    I would like to Thank You All for your patiences with this.

p.s. you are all on my top favorites

C:\Documents and Settings\Joey>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice