1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Xbox 360 - Error E74 1 Red Light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zorgan, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

I have seen various fixes for this across the net, I do not want to trap the fans with a paper clip this sounds like a tempoary fix and certainly not common practise by somebody who wants to fix something properly, which other methods are there to repair this error and does anyone have a link to a good tutorial for doing so?

at the moment I understand this error appears from overheating, what I do not understand is how to clear the fault.

If I remove the heatsink and place some thermal paste / clear out the insides and power up again, will this error will still exist?

thanks in advance.

Zorg.

[​IMG]

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I was under the impression that E73 was a hardware error. Mainly the ethernet port.

3. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

Cheeseball81 could I ask a favour could you change the title of that to E74 my bad !

was a typo sorry.

4. Cheeseball81

Sure thing. (y)

5. Cheeseball81

E74: I/O Hardware Error - HSIO related, could be crc error, or many things: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. Microsoft covers this error under their 3-year warranty, this is available to anyone who hasn't modified their console. contact MS to get a free replacement console before attempting to fix this yourself. Failing that this error In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement.

6. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

brilliant cheeseball81 sounds like you are the fella who knows all about xbox360s then !

Thanks for changing the title.

yes - the x-clamp technique I have a question.........when this has been performed, how does the console reset itself to clear the fault? is this just done by the actual continuity of the GPU being resolved hence clearing the fault?

have checked AV cable, I have another xbox here too which gives no red light errors seems to boot up and you can hear the sound but no video.

the cable is fine been tested on a working console.

7. Cheeseball81

The interesting part is....from what I have read and watched videos...you do have to let it overheat for 20 minutes first. After that, you let it cool down for 15 minutes.

This was a good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-wni_SNFXU

8. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

okay I have three now here just ordered a bunch of screws on eBay
    I will report back once done !

thanks by the way :) for taking the time to respond and help.

9. Cheeseball81

You're welcome. I really hope it works. :)

Just a heads up, apparently when you first turn it on you may see the red lights again but that's normal.
    (it covers that in many of the videos) Hopefully this will help and it isn't a hardware issue.

Good luck (y)

10. zorgan

zorgan Thread Starter

I have now reflowed the memory chips on the xbox, its now working!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!