1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XCopy gives "Access Denied" on every file across network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I can copy files from Drive E on one machine to drive E on another when using Windows Explorer; but, XCopy fails on every file.

I'm not sure this thread doesn't belong in the Vista Forum because it happens only when the Vista machine is either the source or the destination. When copying from a Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000 or XP, it works fine. Also, this same machine I'm having trouble with now was running this same batch file just fine when it had Windows 2000 on it just a few weeks ago; but, it hasn't run since I switched to Vista.

And, yes, the drives are shared.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like a permissions error. Can you do a plain COPY of a file to the Vista machine?

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

You were right. It was permissions.

Here's my lame excuse:
    Things are slightly different under Vista. In the past, I have shared entire drives on my network, told it to do so and all was well. Checking permissions on folders on the Vista machine, I found some folders were set to full permissions and some not. The randomness of the permissions applied to the various folders has me puzzled, though. All of these folders were created by me and none are linked to programs. This drive E contains only long-term storage of family photos and videos, program CD copies, reference notes in the form of PDF, HTM, TXT, etc.

There are about twenty folders in the root of E and some set for full permissions and some not.

Anyway, you pointed me to it and I thank you for your help. The obvious just didn't occur to me.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sometimes it just takes someone looking over your shoulder. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice