Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: XP 32, 64 Software/Hardware Compatibility Issues

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I am editing video and music and desperately need more RAM. I'm using a pc purchased in 2007, running Windows XP 32-bit. The maximum ram I can install (and actually use) on a 32-bit system is 4GB. I considered upgrading to Win 8, but I just learned this motherboard can't handle anything beyond XP anyway. I was told that I could add more RAM...IF I had 64-bit software. Someone that seemed to know what they were talking about claimed that the business of 32 or 64 was not hardware-bound, but was entirely software. So I would think that all I'd need to do would be to purchase some 64-bit software...but given the motherboard I'm currently stuck with, it would have to be XP 64-bit. I've located a seller of such, and I have a memory vendor I want to use, but before I spend money on software or memory that might not work because of some obscure compatibility issue, I am RUNNING to the Tech Support Guy! I read a warning somewhere that one must be sure to have a machine that can have or run 64-bit drivers (?) even if you have 64-bit software. Until I get a definitive answer to these things, I feel immobilized and I've got a lot of editing to do! I hope one of you at TSG can provide an accurate and authoritative answer about these pesky details! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

#3 ·
Download and save the

TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe)

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire text here.

-------------------------------------------------------

If that computer is a known factory brand one, advise what brand name and model name and model number it is.

If that computer is a home-made or custom-made one, advise what the description of its motherboard is.

-------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
THANK YOU for responding!!! The scan results:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2047 Mb
Graphics Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 71351 MB, Free - 2182 MB; D: Total - 190771 MB, Free - 188360 MB; M: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 572063 MB; N: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 591174 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5WDG2 WS PRO, Rev 1.xx, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Sweetwater Sound of Indiana builds these media pc's called "CreationStation".

I'm sorry, I don't recall a model number and I don't see one on the front. It's in a heavy rackmount unit at the moment, and I don't wish to move it to see if there is a model number on the back. I'm hoping you have enough info from what I've provided here.

It was purchased in 2007.

The motherboard is identified as "P5WDG2 WS Professional"

#5 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2047 Mb
Graphics Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 71351 MB, Free - 2182 MB; D: Total - 190771 MB, Free - 188360 MB; M: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 572063 MB; N: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 591174 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5WDG2 WS PRO, Rev 1.xx, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
The motherboard is identified as "P5WDG2 WS Professional"
Here is the ASUS site for the ASUS P5WDG2 WS Professional motherboard.

It has 4 slots and supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM - a maximum of 2 GB in each slot.

It uses 240-pin DDR2 PC2-4200(DDR2-533) or DDR2-PC2-5300(DDR2-667) or DDR2 PC2-6400(DDR2-800) 1.8 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

It has driver support for Windows XP(32-bit and 64-bit) and Windows Vista(32-bit and 64-bit), but not for Windows 7.

It has these devices:

Intel 975X chipset

Analog Devices ADI 1988B High Definition Audio

Marvell 88E8052 Gigabit Ethernet

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Its Intel Pentium D 945 3.40 GHz processor has a frontside bus(FSB) speed of 800 MHz.

The ATI/AMD RADEON X300/X550 Series graphics device also has driver support for Windows XP(32-bit and 64-bit) and Windows Vista(32-bit and 64-bit).

If I was going to use that computer in the same manner as you want to, I would do a clean install of Windows Vista(64-bit) and max it out with 8 GB of RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=5EB673D6A5CA7304

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0006042 600006107 600006155&IsNodeId=1&name=6

---------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
You're welcome. :)

Re-read my last reply because I've been editing and adding to it.

Good luck. :up:

------------------------------------------------------------

One more question.

What's the brand name and model number and the wattage of the power supply?

The processor all by itself uses 95 watts.

#8 ·

One more question.

What's the brand name and model number and the wattage of the power supply?

The processor all by itself uses 95 watts.

------------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]

If you were asking me about the power supply, I'm sorry...I can't seem to find that information. If, on the other hand, could it have been a rhetorical question that you were answering for me?

I did see the links you added. Thank you! In fact, I got the info on my motherboard from a Crucial.com system scan. I think they're a good company and like their site and service. It looks like Newegg.com probably offers the 64-bit Vista software you recommended.

If you can tell me how to rate you or give you some "Stars" or something, that would be the final request I think I have on this issue. My gratitude is pretty overflowing. Thanks again, Frank.

#9 ·
Sweetwater Sound of Indiana builds these media pc's called "CreationStation".

I'm sorry, I don't recall a model number and I don't see one on the front. It's in a heavy rackmount unit at the moment, and I don't wish to move it to see if there is a model number on the back. I'm hoping you have enough info from what I've provided here.

It was purchased in 2007.
Your computer was apparently built by this company.

Here is the "Creation Station" section.

If you can tell me how to rate you or give you some "Stars" or something, that would be the final request I think I have on this issue. My gratitude is pretty overflowing. Thanks again, Frank.
There's no system here for rating a person. Your comments say enough. :)

If you wish, you can donate to the people who maintain this site.

----------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.