1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP and MSN ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Money Pit, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    My Ms. XP on MSN Instant Messenger Voice and Net Meeting, won't connect unless the other party has XP? This very well could be the deciding factor as to whether I leave it installed.
    Is there anyway I can connect with people that are not running XP? Thanks Dave.

2. kramnnim

kramnnim

Does MSN Messenger support video/voice? You can send regular text messages to MSNMS with Windows messenger, though.

3. Nadinee

Nadinee

I have a friend that had problems with msn and xp .. all she had to do is disable the firewall thats within XP and it worked ok after .. maybe try it ?

4. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    As near as I can tell, there is no built in firewall in XP as advertized. I disabled Zone Alarm and ran Steve Gibson's Leak Test and the report told me that either I had no firewall or I had it disabled. If there's a firewall included within XP, it sure isn't very good.
    I have tried turning off Zone Alarm but still MSN Instant Messenger VOICE will not connect nor will Net Metting. Message says: The other party needs to have XP installed on their machine. My buddy has XP as well and his does the same thing.
    I guess I'll have to put this OS on the shelf for 6 months untill the world catches up to XP's technoligy. Dave.

5. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected]

mine did the same thing until i turned off that gh3y firewall.. now its all fine

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

That firewall is a joke. It only blocks incoming connections and even then does not do a very good job. It has no way of stopping anything out going like Zonealarm does. Trojans can eat it alive because of that. That is the reason that the leak test tells you that there is not a firewall in place.

The advanced capabilities of MSN Mess. will only work when connecting to another machine that has XP installed, and Microsoft has stated that it does not plan on releasing an upgrade for the older operating systems to use thos capabilities.

You should still be able to connect in text mode though.

7. Nadinee

Nadinee

i have this that may help.. all you can do is try it and see if it works ..

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall Open Network Connections (Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.) Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following: To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
    To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box. This disables the firewall, your computer and network are then vulnerable to intrusions

8. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    I have no trouble connecting in text mode, but it kinda makes my web cam and microphone obsolete huh?
    Anyway, I don't think XP will be in my system long. I still have 21 days before i have to activate it, so I'm going to play with it a bit more and then restore my Millennium. So it cost me a few bucks big deal, that won't be the last money I'll waste in my life. Dave.

9. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Nadinee: Sorry but your directions are not exact enough. These is no heading titled Network Connections. What view have you selected for the control panel? Please be a little more accurate with you instructions. Thanks Dave.

10. Brooks

Brooks Guest

A couple of other ways to get to those settings:

If you have a my network places icon, you can right click it and choose properties.

Also following this should also get you there.
    Start
    Programs
    Accessories
    Communications
    Network Connections

11. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Brooks: Thanks but I think I'll leave those setings alone. By the way, really like your signature. Maybe the blood curdling scream comes XP owners. LOL. Thanks Dave.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice