1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP cannot find hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onedavester, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onedavester

onedavester Thread Starter

I am reloading a brand new HP DV5000 laptop with a Hitachi SATA hard drive. I am doing this to get rid of all the trial software and just have a clean copy of XP Home. The problem is that XP cannot find the hard drive. I then used a 98 disc and ran fdisk. It found the hard drive with no problems. I then deleted all partitions and created one dos partition and then did a low level format. I tried to re run the XP install and it still states that it cannot find a hard drive. I went to Hitachi's website to se if it had SATA drivers to no avail. I did find a couple of H/D utilities that test H/D for integrity etc. It passes with no problems. What I was hoping for was something like MAXBLAST or Seatools (but for Hitachi). Alas there seems to be no such thing for Hitachi. I also tried to boot with the 98 disc with CD rom support, ran smartdrv and then install XP from a dos prompt using winnt.exe. It looked like this would work, but upon the first boot, I get the BSOD.

2. onedavester

What I need is SATA drivers for the motherboard

3. Doodaman

Doodaman

I was having a similar problem with an IDE drive, and I finally got the drive working. After looking about everywhere I could think, I went back to the properties for the primary IDE channel. In the advanced settings, under drive type for Drive 1, the drive type was selected as NONE. I changed this to AUTO DETECTION, rebooted, and the drive was finally recognized. I would think there may be a similar setting for the SATA drive, might be worth looking....

4. onedavester

I disabled SATA legacy in the BIOS. This initialized the BIOS to fool XP into running the Hard Drive as AN IDE. All is well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/496017