1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP compatible computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Graiskye, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Graiskye

Graiskye Thread Starter

Quik question my friend has a P3, 600 mhz, 128k box with a 80 gb drive, thats all he could tell me about it over the phone! Will a computer with those numbers run XP adequately??? What if the RAM was upped to 256k?? Thanks all Graiskye ps shes running 98 as is, whats the wise choice upgrade to XP or no??? Thanks,Thanks,Thanks, and Thanks again (y)

2. unknownguy18

unknownguy18

I'm running XP on a 600 PII or is it PIII. I have 256 megs of ram and 80 gig hard disk drive. I wouldn't complain about the performance. Sure, it isn't the fastest thing around. My main recommendation is not to crap it up with internet crap. Don't install everything you can possible download. You will end up with a sluggish machine.

In fact, I recommend dual or triple booting. You can keep a one OS clean with applications that are specific only to what you need. Then boot into a seperate install to use the internet. Not always practical or convenient but saves some headaches.

By the way, I'm running XP Pro, XP Home, 98SE, and Debian Linux on mine. Works great!

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

4. Graiskye

Graiskye Thread Starter

Hey thnx guys. Didnt even think to check the box(DUH, I have XP). But I was , am more intrested in real world application(arent we all?). Guy at the local tells me that you really should have 256 mem?? You know how opinions are! So just trying to get a feel for the performance they might expect. Thanks again, Graiskye :cool:

5. Maverick83

Maverick83

I would say 256 is the recommended minimum. I would not advise running it on anything less. It was a pain. For XP to run properly, I would reccomend 512.

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I agree totally with Maverick, you really need 512Mb to get anywhere. Each RAM module only uses 5watts from your power supply and adding RAM really is the cheapest way to improve performance. XP can use 4 x 1024Mb with the right motherboard. (XP 64-Bit Edition can use 16 x 1024Mb)

But this is the best scan I've ever found from PC Pitstop as it will advise on software compatability as well. (Might not be fully comprehensive.)

http://www.pcpitstop.com Test your PC for hardware & software compatability with Windows XP , plus , ActiveX testing, etc.

XP-READY? http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/default.asp COMPATIBILITY TEST BEFORE ATTEMPTING INSTALL of XP.

CLEAN INSTALL XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

DATA BACKUP IMAGING SYSTEMS http://terabyteinc.com TERABYTE UNLIMITED IMAGE for DOS plus TBIVIEW, very easy to use drive imaging program.

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

As to the wise choice. Stay with '98 unless you can afford a new computer and all new software.

8. Graiskye

Graiskye Thread Starter

Seems the smart thing is to stay with the 98 for now? I guess her son was right after all. All his applications, games and that are all ready set up for 98 so I thought he was just being reluctant. Shes always asking for help but I am just starting to find my way around XP, NO experience with 98 what so ever. Try to get her to check out the net but some people just don't feel comfortable surfing. Think the computer's gonna catch a virus, even though the things on constantly, hooked up to the net, messenger on, go figure?? Thanks for the response guys, I'll pass one the thread too my friend. Graiskye

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

It's a pleasure Graiskye, The best advice is often Free, especially when there is no question of profiting from someone. That is what family is for.

If she hasn't already done so, she should try a couple of programs like AdAware, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, Delindex and CCLeaner to keep the computer clean. (All Freeware.)

Have a nice day. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice