1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP computer can not find Vista computer on network, problem just started

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jamestdavisjr, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamestdavisjr

jamestdavisjr Thread Starter

I'm baffled here. I had my network between my new vista machine (\\MAINCOMPUTER) and my xp laptop (\\JIMSLAPTOP) set up perfectly (transfered old files from xp computer to vista without problems) until yesterday when I was trying to add music files to windows media palyer on my xp machine that are stored on my vista machine. It is wireless network with the vista machine connected via ethernet and xp machine wirelessly.

It was working fine at first- searching for and adding all of the files that it should have. I left the room for a bit while the 13,000+ songs were being added and when I came back it was frozen. I canceled out of it and then tried to access the files that were added but it could not find them. I then tried to access the folder through the network and My Network Places crashed. I restarted, tried again... same... crashed.

I can see the xp laptop no problem on my vista network map, can access any of the xp files, and can ping using IP and name both ways- from vista to xp and from xp to vista. XP just won't find \\maincomputer now in My Network Places- error message says: "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Network name is no longer available."

Norton's is running on both machines, but I have both computers on the respective "trust" lists

Again, I had this working fine and this only started happening after the windows media player incident...

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The error message you quoted is often caused by a non-Windows firewall blocking. Have you made sure that Norton didn't get misconfigured somehow? Or maybe with whatever was going wrong with the file copies Norton got "scared" and shut things down to play safe.

3. jamestdavisjr

I'm not sure how to tell if Norton's is misconfigured or if it got "scared" like you said... I have a feeling you may be right and that is what is causing this- i've disabled the Norton's firewall and tried to see the computer but I got the same error... Will I have to completely uninstall Norton's to see if that is the issue? I'm not completely against that as I was thinking about switching anyway... but if there is another way, I'd love to know. Thanks.

4. pdougan

pdougan

Coincidentally, I am here for virtually the same reason. I fixed mine by doing a Systems Restore to a couple of days ago. It's to easy for me to get hung up on the why of what happed when all I really want is a working computer. I still had to check in here in case there is a quick solution.

Before you go to the trouble of uninstalling Norton (personally, I don't think that will be the problem) I am assuming that you probalby did another wizard for the wireless. If so, windows normally resets their firewall to on. Do you possibly have two firewalls working against each other? just a thought...

I've got all of my software setup for auto update. I am wondering now if something was updated in the past couple of days that may have caused our problem?

5. jamestdavisjr

No, windows firewall is still set to OFF.

6. jamestdavisjr

if you do find anything anywhere else, please let me know.

7. jamestdavisjr

New error message when connected via ethernet cable instead of wireless: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure the following services are running (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services). The Startup Type on my machine is 'Automatic' except for the one indicated.

Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Location Awareness (Startup Type 'Manual')
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

You can always reinstall Norton if you want to. If you do uninstall it use Symantic's Norton Removal Tool; that site also gives instructions on making sure you have your Product key needed to reinstall before you uninstall.

9. jamestdavisjr

Everything on the XP machine matches. On my Vista machine the 'Network Configuration Awareness' is set to automatic. Are you saying this should be changed? Can you give a reason? Just want to understand before I make any changes there.

I'm beginning to think that this is something on the vista machine now that is not letting xp machine access it, so I'm not sure its Norton's on the xp...

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The important thing about the Services is that they be Started. As long as they are Started the Startup Type doesn't matter. Don't change yours.

If the problem is possibly on the Vista make the same check of Services and look for a guilty looking non-Windows firewall.

11. jamestdavisjr

I am still having this issue. I removed Norton's from my XP machine now and it looked like it was going to work... at least now i can see shared folders that I specified from my vista machine. However, I'm still getting error: \\maincomputer\music is not accessible. You might not have premission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Also, now, when I try to ping using the computer name it does not work. can oly ping using ip...

So, it seems to me that this is now an issue with my Vista machine and I think Norton's is the culpret... I really don't want to uninstall Nortons on this machine. I've tried disabling the Norton's firewall and intrusion protection completely but that does not work.

From my Vista machine I can access all of the files on my XP...

Please if anyone has any information or knows how I can fix this, let me know... its driving me nuts.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You need to check your permissions in Vista. It is more particular about sharing.

13. jamestdavisjr

Solved for now. After doing everything humanly possible for 3 days straight, I simply unshared the folder and then reshared it... voila, it now works. Whatever happened during the music transfer must have somehow corrupted the shared folder? So... if anyone else is having this problem try unsharing and sharing first before you spend too much time messing with your firewall settings, etc... I should have known better since it was working the first time. Thanks for all your responses.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Per chance, did you change the location of the shared folder? That sounds more logical than it just going AWOL one day ;)

15. jamestdavisjr

Nope didn't touch it all. Read my first post... It didn't just go awol, it stopped working when adding songs to wmp on my xp machine that are stored on vista. I think what may have happened is the wireless connection failed during the transfer and led to this occurance...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice