1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bruinator, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

Hi, I have an xp machine that keeps rebooting. This computer is less than a year old so I would assume it is not a PSU problem. I tried last good connection, safe mode but all give the same problem.

Is there something else I could try? I appreciate any help.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Do you have the Operating System on CD?

3. bruinator

yes, I do...why please?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

You could put the CD in and restart the PC and try and get into Recovery Console

and type in fixboot then press Enter key and if that doesn't work try typing fixmbr then press Enter key

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.

When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.

If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

5. bruinator

I had a tech take a look at this issue and he said that there is nothing wrong with the HW on the computer and it appears to be SW issue. I have never heard of this. Has anyone heard of SW causing a computer to continually to reboot? Please let me know what you people think of this conclusion.

thanks

6. bruinator

How do I get into recovery console after putting CD in, please?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.

When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.

If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

8. bruinator

bonk I am glad you are here right now I have my computer at windows advanced options menu. What do i do from here, please?

9. bonk

bonk Banned

You mean the Image below

Attached Files:

10. bruinator

that's the one.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes but you have tried that options before so you said....we were looking for the Recovery Console

You have to put your XP CD in and restart your PC and then follow the instruction above I posted.

12. bruinator

Ok but when I hit f8 to change boot location it just keeps rebooting. I will try it another time, thanks for helping...I'll be right back.

13. bruinator

When it says boot to CD hit any key what that re-install the OS or will it bring up RC? Should I hit any key when it does?

14. bonk

bonk Banned

No it won't reinstall the O/S....it just will boot from the CD...hit any key and then follow the instructions in post #7

15. bonk

bonk Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!