Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: XP Continually Reboots

18K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NewYorkMan 
#1 ·
Wondered if someone could help with a pc that continually reboots. Cannot get to windows environment. Boots no matter what option is taken: safe mode, normal, last known config, safe mode with command prompt, etc...

Specs: HP Pavilion 751n, xp home, Intel Pentium 4, CPU Speed 1800 mhz, Motherboard ASUS P4S-LA, Form Factor: UATX, Processor socket type: MPGA478, Chipset: SiS650, Mem speed PC2100 (256)mb, Hard Drive: Maxtor, CD & DVD, Award Bios

CPU Temp= 39 C/ 102-114 F is this normal? Fans all appear to be working.

Changed bios so it will boot to cd & I am able to get into Recovery Console. Any suggestion on best commands to use. It's been recommended that I replace the kernal32 file. Does this sound appropriate? I don't want the user to lose data. :confused:

#4 ·
'Nuther (I think maybe bigger problem). My internet went down so naturally couldn't check this board and so I decided to go ahead and try to reinstall overtop of windows (seemed the most logical choice) but I get part way through the install and I get the following error: setup was unable to start service tabsrv because of the following error: openservice (tabsrv) returned error 1060 (424). Signature for XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is fffffdfd. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is not an upgraded system. It's an HP that camed with XP Home on it. The only history I know about the machine is it had been to the same repair shop on 3 occasions and the customer had the same problems upon returning home. Now I think the only thing I can do is try to reformat? Now I cannot get into Recovery Console or anything like this as the setup tries to continue and hangs.... pretty frustrating...

#5 ·
Finally got into the HP built in recovery (F10). There is a known problem with recovering xp sp1 on this pc and a patch needs to be loaded prior to restoring. Loaded the patch and it worked. Also found 12 viruses on the pc once I got it back up and running....this one was a bugger.

madchick said:
'Nuther (I think maybe bigger problem). My internet went down so naturally couldn't check this board and so I decided to go ahead and try to reinstall overtop of windows (seemed the most logical choice) but I get part way through the install and I get the following error: setup was unable to start service tabsrv because of the following error: openservice (tabsrv) returned error 1060 (424). Signature for XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is fffffdfd. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is not an upgraded system. It's an HP that camed with XP Home on it. The only history I know about the machine is it had been to the same repair shop on 3 occasions and the customer had the same problems upon returning home. Now I think the only thing I can do is try to reformat? Now I cannot get into Recovery Console or anything like this as the setup tries to continue and hangs.... pretty frustrating...

#6 ·
undefinedThe default setting for winxp in system.ini , system startup is restart windows on error , need to uncheck that, another problem that can cause a reboot loop is insufficient power. low power draw causes power supply to overheat as well as cpu,mobo, and results in protection system shutdown and last but not least, is possible boot sector virus.( restart windows on error scenario).Try boot from antivirus disk! Last option if these do not work is reformat and reinstall os , you can attempt to repair an existing installation , if you have an O.E.M MICROSOFT full version disk , or a non destructive restore if you have an O.E.M cmputer (I.E , H.P , COMPAQ , DELL , ECT.) Hope this helps !

#7 ·
Dear Madchick,

I'm having the same problem as you with my Sony VAIO p4 (2.4 ghz-model # PCV-RS312_RAM-512MB). My VAIO also has a built-in recovery which
I can't get to. I've tried pressing F10 when the Sony Logo appears and it
just locks up. I can't get to safe mode, last configuration, or start windows
normally.

However, I haven't tried using the recovery console, and I want to
know when you assigned your BIOS to boot from the CD, what type of CD did you use? Did you use a Windows XP Upgrade CD to access the Recovery Console? Did your computer come with a special CD that had the Recovery
Console on it?

Please forgive me, I know this reply doesn't benefit you, but
after reading your posting, I just had to find out about this Recovery
Console. I think I might give it a shot to see if I can get my PC back
up and running.

Yours Truly, Jusick

#8 ·
HP has a built in recovery feature not to be confused with Xp recovery console or restore feature in XP. F10 is pressed to access the HP recovery partition. I don't know what sony offers as I don't see too many of these in the shop. I would enter bios and boot from cd if you can. You cannot use an upgrade CD. Does sony offer any restore instructions on its website?

Hope you get backup and running! :)

Jusick said:
Dear Madchick,

I'm having the same problem as you with my Sony VAIO p4 (2.4 ghz-model # PCV-RS312_RAM-512MB). My VAIO also has a built-in recovery which
I can't get to. I've tried pressing F10 when the Sony Logo appears and it
just locks up. I can't get to safe mode, last configuration, or start windows
normally.

However, I haven't tried using the recovery console, and I want to
know when you assigned your BIOS to boot from the CD, what type of CD did you use? Did you use a Windows XP Upgrade CD to access the Recovery Console? Did your computer come with a special CD that had the Recovery
Console on it?

Please forgive me, I know this reply doesn't benefit you, but
after reading your posting, I just had to find out about this Recovery
Console. I think I might give it a shot to see if I can get my PC back
up and running.

Yours Truly, Jusick

#9 ·
I have cleaned at least 15 viruses with Zone Alarm. I ran the recovery program several times and a registry cleaner multiple times. I am now trying to reinstall Windows XP because I could only boot into Safe mode. During the reinstallation of XP, I was put in the endless error loop. The error message is "The digital signature catalog C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\OEMBIOS.CAT could not be installed. The error code is fffffdfd.

Where did you get the patch? How did you retrieve the patch? How did you install it?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.