1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] XP Control Panel Icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ChuckG, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChuckG

ChuckG Thread Starter

Would appreciate some help here.

This really isn't a big deal but the icons in my Control Panel are stuck on the classic icons. The XP icons have disappeared. I've gone into control panel\display\themes and also appearance and played with the settings but these icons just refuse to change. I've also used the repair icons utility in Tweak with the same result. Looked around the internet and on the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found nothing. I couldn't even find anyone who has experienced the same problem.

Any ideas here? Maybe the answer is some sort of reqistry hack? Or maybe it's something simple that I just missed.

2. ukboy

ukboy

when you open control panel there should be a panel on the left hand side, on this panel is a button that says switch to category view, try if that helps.

3. ChuckG

ChuckG Thread Starter

ukboy- I don't even have that. When I go to the Control Panel, it opens up to where I can see all the different icons for all the different functions. Everything from Accessibility Options to User Accounts are listed with the classic icons, not the XP ones.

The left side panel has only Windows Update & Help and Support. That's it.

4. ukboy

ukboy

ok, i have xp and above the 'see also' section is the 'control panel section' with the switch view option. i dont know what else i can do to help, maybe someone else will reply with more knowledge of this situation.

5. ChuckG

ChuckG Thread Starter

The left side panel has one panel. The heading on the panel is "See Also" and listed under that is "Windows Update" and "Help and Support." I have no other panels.

Strange, huh?

6. ukboy

ukboy

very strange, i have searched the support section of microsoft and cannot find any thing about this subject.

7. ukboy

ukboy

maybe you should contact microsoft, not sure how good their customer support is though.

8. Dan O

Dan O

I have also searched and I found nothing. You could try a System Restore to a date before the problem started occurring, or a Re-install of XP. But first read the MS article You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP, see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312369

9. ChuckG

ChuckG Thread Starter

Dan- I really hate to do a restore....I'll loose too much.

I guess I can live with it. I was just wondering what happened and how I could fix it.

Thanks guys for responding.

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

For the icons, check to be sure you are using 32 bit and not 16 bit in Display Properties>settings.

There's a registry hack to force classic view in Control Panel. Maybe that's why you do not have the option to switch. Let me dig it out and I"ll post back with the details.

BRB

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Here's the Restriciton.

Go to start>Run
    Type REgedit. Pres enter.

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Highlight Explorer in the left pane. Look for this entry in the rigth pane.

ForceClassicControlPanel

If you find it, right click on it and choose delete from the pop up menu.

Log off and back on to see the change.

12. ChuckG

ChuckG Thread Starter

Mosaic- I went into the registry and navigated to that key and found ForceClassicControlPanel. When I deleted it, my side panels in the Control Panel returned to normal. I then went to Display>Settings and you're right....it was set at 16 bit. Changed it to 32 bit and my XP icons reappeared.

Well, I'm certainly impressed. You're something.

Thanks.

13. Dan O

Dan O

Mosaic,

Great job. But I am using 16 bit icons, the default and not have any problems. I wonder why 32 bit was needed?

ChuckG,

Thanks for the feedback, it helps other users and the solution provider know they are doing some good. I am going to mark this thread solved.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Chuck,

You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment.

Dan,

The 16 bit is from my own personal experience. When I change to 16 bit and flush the icon cache, the icons change to a different set. I had some big problems with XP. I reduced to 16 bit to tshoot. One day I decided to change the desktop icon size. The cache was flushed during the size change and all my icons changed too. That was a surprise.

Mo

15. Dan O

Dan O

Mosaic,

Thanks for the information, you're the MAN.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!