1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP crashed, lost files!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by r_kage, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r_kage

r_kage Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone might give me some good news here, otherwise I'll try to post in software:

My crazy day went like this. I tried to capture video through Windows Movie Player, but it failed with a 'class not registered' error. Found info on how to correct this on another forum, in which others got a Registration Successful Message. For me, this option failed. Tried to send video direct to DVD, but this wasnt' working either. So back to the first option, I had read if the first steps in a sequence failed, then uninstall and reinstall SP2 (which is preloaded on mine). Instead, I figured if I installed SP3, former issues would be corrected. However, my computer crashed. I was able to open in safe mode, however, and decided to follow the last bit of advice.... if all else fails, reinstall XP.

As my recovery files are on a partition, I am given a list with various options. I chose one which said it would retain data files, but restore applications and the operation system. I chose this option through a different path previously and what happened was all my add-on applications had to be reinstalled, but all my important files remained.

This time, for some reason, it kept all my applications and SOME (actually very few) data/phot files associated with them, but everything else is GONE!!!

I've taken a ton of pictures in the past couple of months (I DO archive every 2-3 months), and they seem to be lost!

I'm hoping to find that there is a back-up file/temp file/zip file SOMETHING (I tried searching by original name and original extension with no luck) to help me recover these files.

In lieu of that, I am hoping there is a decent, reasonably priced software that might be able to recover these lost files.

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED. I am feeling so sick about this right now!

THanks!!

Rhonda

2. r_kage

r_kage Thread Starter

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    You can mark this one solved using thread tools above.

4. r_kage

r_kage Thread Starter

I forgot--Sorry!! Consider it done! :rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice