Solved: XP Defrag Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XZilla

I ned help in determining why the AcGenral.dll can't be defragmented. Each time I try to defrag my machine, I get message stating that the file can't be defragmented. Exactly what is this file? I am unable to delete this file, but am logged on as the administrator.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.

Google searches reveal that "acgenral.dll" is a component of the Microsoft Windows operating systems.

You wouldn't happen to have a German version of Windows, would you?
http://www.filename.info/f/acgenral.dll.html

I really wouldn't worry too much if a file can not be defragmented. Every time I do a disk defrag, there are always a few files that can't be defragged.

If a file is in use by Windows, then Defrag will skip it. Why would your first action be to delete this file? I think you are taking the Defrag process way to seriously. Deleting what may be a System file will cause you more problems in the long run.

I agree. (n) I'm not sure why you would want to delete something just because it can't be defragged. That is a definite no-no. Defrag will often skip over important Windows components as was mentioned, leaving the message that the file couldn't be defragged.

In other words, leave it.

XZilla

I don't think that the version is German. However, I do utilize BitDefender and Mapi Labs Duplicate Remover.

XZilla

How do I know if the file is in use? I close out every program that I know is open before I defrag. I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hil. I have simply see this message more that I have seen any other message. Would you happen to know exactly what the file is for?

As far as I know, it is a component of German versions of the Windows operating system. That's all I know. You don't happen to be German do you? :confused:

I often see the same couple files that can't be defragged every time I run a disk defrag. I wouldn't make such a big deal of it. :rolleyes:

XZilla

My machine is a Toshiba Satellite A75-S231 and was purchased at Circuit City. As far as I know the OS is not German, but it is entirely possible, I guess. As far as me being German, I will check as well. If I am, I am an anomaly.

Well I'm pretty sure your OS isn't German if it isn't in the German language, you don't live in Germany or any other German-speaking nation (you bought it at Circuit City :p ) and you aren't German as far as I can tell.

I have no clue as to why that file is on your computer. I'll look into it some more if you'd like, but in the mean time- DON'T MESS WITH IT. :)

You don't want to make things any worse by deleting something that could be valuable, important, or necessary. ;) :cool:

Upon further review from a better, more informative website (http://www.processlist.com/info/acgenral-9.html), acgenral.dll is just a standard Windows Compatibility Component. Don't need to have a German OS to have it like that other site said.

Not spyware or anything bad. Just a standard Windows component that can't be defragged, because after all, it's a Windows component that's in use (please don't ask me how to make it not in use).

Just leave things how they are- everything is fine. :) You can mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools drop down list, or if you feel like I didn't answer your question already, feel free to reply to this message LOL j/k :p :D

XZilla

I will try my very best not to obsess any longer over this file. It's just that everytime I see it I want to scream. I think that it may be another one of those Microsoft Gremlins. I do thank you for the info. I guess I will go and sniff something lavender.

How often do you defrag? I think maybe you are defragging much too often. It is after all a personal choice depending on how much you install/remove software and how hard you work your computer. I consider myself an average user so I defrag maybe every other month. Defragging dailey, IMO, is not neccessary and it puts "miles" on your hard drive. :D

Also, it is wise to look at the analysis that Disk Defragmenter produces before defragging the drive. See how many fragments per file there are (should be between 1.0-1.20 and you're ok) and how many fragmented files there are before choosing to defrag.

valis

windows purposefully puts system files that are unmoveable in towards the middle of the disk. if you are running below 25% fragmented, you are fine. Going around deleting files without knowing what they are or do could land you in more trouble than trying to get defragged to zero.

XZilla

I generally defrag approximately every two to three weeks. However, I do defrag more often, particularly when I install/uninstall software. Maybe once per week under these conditions. At last check, the average fragments per file on my machine is 1.21. The total fragmentation is 6% and the file fragmentation is 13%. Finally, I get it. I accept my rebuke and will not delete a file unless I know what it is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online