1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

XP HOME SP2
    Following a crash, I put in a new hard drive, reinstalled Windows, re-created the User accounts. Well some of that I had help with! :)
    I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents & Settings, no problems.

A few weeks later I decided to add another User account. The account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents & Settings. That was about a
    month ago and it's just never shown up. The account itself works fine, as far as I know. This morning I created a second User account for this person, to see if it would place a folder in Docs & Settings. It still didn't.

Before the crash, I had all four people with four separate accounts, so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously. It's not a reboot issue, as I've rebooted numerous times since creating the person's first account.
    Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents & Settings since XP won't place it there automatically?

Edited to add:
    When reinstalling HD, it had to be named "F," not "C."
    That didn't affect creating the original three User accounts, though, so I don't know what to think about that. Also no problem with downloading programs, it always defaults to the correct location. Just thought this might be important.

AHHH..., nevermind, I figured it out. User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents & Settings. Apparently he just sat down at someone else's opened desktop...doesn't live here and keeps no files here, so he didn't care whose IE he was browsing in I guess. I did not log into the new account either.
    Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents & Settings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!