1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP 'Downgrade' drivers not installing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikemac2000, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikemac2000

mikemac2000 Thread Starter

Acer AST180-UA350B
    AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz Socket AM2
    512 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (now replaced w/XP Home)
    160 GB Serial ATA
    DVD±RW Dual Layer
    Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card Ethernet • Fast Ethernet • Gigabit Ethernet
    etc...

I posted here in February '08 about a downgrade from Vista Home Basic to XP Home, and received good information on finding the necessary drivers at the Acer website.

I got XP on the Acer up and running, Internet access, etc. all appeared fine. I am now adding speakers and unable to get sound. I viewed Device Manager and found to my surprise that I've got question marks next to Display Adapter >Video Controller and Other Devices > PCI Device. Interestingly, Sound, Video and Game Controllers appears normal in Device Manager, but no sound card appears in the list (interesting since it is lack of sound that prompted me to check in the first place).

Drilling down further in Device Manager at the two question marks (Display Adapter and PCI Device) reveals the same message: Device Unknown, and Device Driver not installed.

As to the sound card, I went to Control Panel and opened up Sounds and Audio Devices only to see the message, No Audio Device.

I've re-downloaded the XP device drivers for these (3) items from the Acer site, run the executables, but to no avail. There are no error messages when I run the programs, but no evidence that they are installing either. I also tried installing the drivers from Device Manager, but with the same results.

I hope I'm doing something obviously wrong that will jump out at one of you. All advice on this issue will be gladly received.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Select the unknown PCI device and use the option to search online / automatically (something like that) for drivers.

3. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Usually, with those Acer drivers you can use "winrar" to extract the driver files into your SPECIFIC folder. Then, you may manually search the folders for the missing files through the device manager. However, the executables usually extract to a specific folder of their own, if you know what it is, simply point to it for the device you believe needs those drivers.

Did you double check to make sure you have the correct acer drivers? Sometimes, they have a european version of their website full of similar drivers. I've downloaded and tried those, but they simply didn't work right and some none at all.

4. mikemac2000

mikemac2000 Thread Starter

Thanks for both responses. Jasaiyajin's was the one that did the trick! I downloaded and installed WINRAR as suggested. When I used it to extract the compressed files taken from Acer's US site, it flashed an error on the screen that one of the files was corrupted.

While the self-extraction for this file worked, it did NOT give an error message on the screen about the corrupted file, and I had no idea there was a problem.

I immediately went to the European site, downloaded the necessary audio driver file and it worked like a champ!

Thanks Again...

5. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Great to hear everything worked out. You can mark this thread as Solved, or so I hear from others.

6. genadiy

genadiy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice