1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP drivers for Samsung P10 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by glutonforpunishm, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glutonforpunishm

glutonforpunishm Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an RM Professional P10 laptop, I think I'm right in saying it's actually a re-badged Samsung P10.

The hard drive failed recently and I replaced it and re-installed XP Pro but the Video Controller (WGA compatible) and PCI Modem are highlighted in yellow in the Device Manager. I did require a wireless driver but managed to find that. I presume Samsung drivers would be ok - if I could find them. The problem I have is that if I go on the Samsung site I'm asked for an actual model number, I think P10 is merely a series identifier not an actual model number.

I've looked underneath the laptop and about the only numbers I can find are 1700-256, P/N NV200 and S/N W037939502. I presume the 1700-256 refers to the processor speed and the RAM fitted.

There's an RM telephone number underneath the laptop but it comes up as number unknown...

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Double-click the problem entries in the Device Manager to open their properties window.

Click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids".

There should be one or more strings that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise what the 4 characters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

Make sure to submit those 4-character codes exactly as you see them there.

If you want to do it yourself, go here and type in the 4-character codes for each device and then click the device's search button.

The identity of that device should appear.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. glutonforpunishm

Thanks for the quick reply

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57

I've looked at the pcidatabase site but can't really understand it...

Thanks

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Vendor code 1002 and device code 4C57 are assigned to this graphics device:

ATI/AMD Mobility Radeon 7500

http://support.amd.com/en-us

-------------------------------------------------------

5. glutonforpunishm

Thanks for that.

I went to the AMD site but no luck.

I downloaded what I thought was the right one (Catalyst 6.11 Display Driver for Windows XP) but apparently not. I then downloaded and ran the Detect & Install utility which didn't work either. It wouldn't run at all - just flashed momentarily across the screen. Obviously not my day :rolleyes:

I appreciate your help

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If I remember correctly, ATI Catalyst 6.5 was the most current ATI graphics driver that I could get to work in Windows XP.

I don't remember being able to get ATI Catalyst 6.6 or newer to work.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. glutonforpunishm

Thanks again flavalee,

I downloaded ATI Catalyst 6.5 but still no luck. I got an 'INF error Video driver not found'. I've had this error with other downloads I've tried as well.

I've installed a replacement hard drive, re-installed XP PRO changed the CMOS battery in this laptop and I'd really like to get it going properly.

I'll keep on trying...

Thanks for all your input.

J

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the ATI catalyst drivers you installed aren't working, uninstall them from Add Or Remove Programs.

If ATI included an uninstall utility, use it so it can properly remove all the ATI-related "debris".

After that's done, go to Windows Update and do a custom scan.

If you're lucky, the needed graphics driver will appear in the hardware list.

-------------------------------------------------------

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you still need the Graphics driver try this :- http://ati-mobility-radeon-7500.soft32.com/

Unzip the download into a folder then run the setup.exe file.

If that doesn't work please post the characters that come after PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_

10. glutonforpunishm

flavalle - For some reason the laptop was unable to update. I have recently found it has become increasingly difficult to update XP.
    managed - thanks for that link. I followed your instructions but no luck. While trying to install an error message came up "SETUP cannot proceed because the length of the specified directory path plus the installation name exceeds 95 characters. Please shorten one or both below the specified limit, and try again"
    Now I've seen dozens of Windows error messages but that's a new one for me. I always have a directory I call 'net downloads in the root of C and I always configure Firefox to download everything there. I also have a desktop shortcut to net downloads so I can easily find what I've just downloaded. I then created a new folder, called it Z and moved the file there, also shortened the actual file's own name and attempted to run it again. This time it ran further but then came up with another error - 'INF error video driver not found' I've seen this one before when trying other drivers.
    And that's where I'm at...
    >>> If that doesn't work please post the characters that come after PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_ <<<
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_C006144D&REV_00\4&2EEAE0A0&0&0008
    (think I have that right...)
    Many years ago I was stopped by one of the local Constables because I had a faulty number plate light - must have been that time of year when they were all called in front of the Promotions Board and the number of 'bookings' they'd made in the last 12 months was looked at... I was asked to attend the local Police Station to show my documents. I always remember the copper at the desk there saying 'never mind, when one door closes another one shuts' That's how I feel trying to sort this laptop :mad:

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Allan wanted this part of the vendor and device codes string:

C006144D&REV_00\4&2EEAE0A0&0&0008

so maybe he has a solution that I'm not aware of.

----------------------------------------------------------

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks Frank. I wanted those characters to check if the .INF file in the download I linked to has the same ones, I just checked and it does not. I'm unsure if that's why it didn't work but I found a driver that does match them on driverguide.com.

Rather than having to jump through hoops to get it like I did I uploaded it to my MediaFire account so it can be downloaded more easily.

This link leads to the MediaFire download page :- http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddu8umdrbdv3ue3/NBK001756_XP_Video_6-13-10-6043.exe

Hopefully that one will work !

13. glutonforpunishm

flavalle/managed...

Thanks for your advice and patience.

The file at http://www.mediafire.com/download/dd...13-10-6043.exe which you provided has done the job so I'm really chuffed! :D

I was becoming quite discouraged by it all and beginning to forget what I'd previously tried but this one works just fine so many thanks again. I've saved it onto an usb pen with some other drivers for this laptop so should I need it again it will be available.

This old P10 is really a labour of love. Arguably its not worth much and the hard drive is making ominous noises but I wanted to try to make it work and hopefully it will last for a while.

Thanks again.

J

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's great. (y)

I use an old laptop (Toshiba Portege M100 c.2002) most of the time myself so I understand how you can get used to one, it's a bit like wearing your favourite clothes.

I wouldn't rely on a Usb stick alone for backup, they can fail. Put files you really value onto a 2nd hard drive/computer and/or burn onto a CD.

EDIT : Please mark this topic Solved if you're sure it is now.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1111273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice