1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: XP file and settings transfer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bicycle bill, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned Thread Starter

I am trying to import files and settings from my old PC to a new one using a flash drive.
    The files were collected and are on a flash drive File name USMT2IMG.Dat.
    What is the procedure to get them on the new PC so they will be imported?

I copied the file and it is in My Docs but when I am asked where to look for the file it is
    not there to select. I know it is there because I can open My Documents and see it.
    Don't understand this at all. Any help appreciated.

2. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

Down arrow see if it will look for a different type of file if not maybe you might have to change the type of file to what it will recognise.

Or it needs to go to the folder it was in before or folder of same name in the computer you are moving it to

3. bicycle bill

Well here is what I do.

I have the file USMT2IMG.Dat.on the Flash Drive created by FLASHW. I take the d*m thing to the new PC and insert it.
    Go to My Computer>open the flash drive>find the file USMT2IMG.Dat.>right cl ick and copy then paste into My Documents.

Now I check to see if the file is indeed in My Docs and it is there staring me in the face
    Yet when I run the FASTW the file does not show up to direct FASTW to import. When
    I check the properties of the file it is not hidden either so that can't be the problem.
    The general opinion is that this program is flaky and I am beginning to believe that.

I did run it sucessfully once by burning the file to disk on another computer. Must have
    got lucky. Do you see a flaw in the way I am trying to accomplish this seemingly
    impossibe task?:mad:

4. Curly

Curly

5. bicycle bill

What do you think I have been using my friend? What does FASTW mean?

6. Curly

Curly

Ouch ... OK, I will leave you with your problem.

7. bicycle bill

Curly I still would appreciate any help you or anyone else can give me. I am just so
    frustrated. Didn't mean to be disrespectful.

8. sludge3000

sludge3000

FASTW = Files And Setting Transfer Wizard

To import them on the other PC you should be using the SAME version of FASTW as on the PC the backup was created.

When you create the backup create a new folder in which to place it then when you restore point to the folder rather than the specific file.

Let us know if this helps.

9. bicycle bill

Nope. Still no joy. I created a new folder and put the file in it. This is unbelievable and
    as to the file version one doesn't know if that is a problem until the FASTW tries to
    import the file and I haven't reached that point yet. I ran into that when I done this on another PC so I know what to do if that is a problem download KB 911895.

10. sludge3000

sludge3000

Sorry lost you slightly in that last post. Have you tried to import the files and settings on the other PC yet?

One sugestion would be rather than copying the file create the file on the HDD i.e. C:\Transfer and then plug the HDD into the new computer and restore the fiels from there rather than using a USB to move them.

Neither the server admin or IT ops guy in my work have ever used FASTW. Have you considered manually copying the files you require and manually inputting the settings as this wizard seems awfully fiddly to use.

As my experience with FASTW is extremely limited and i am running out of ideas i don't think i'll be able to help much more with this one but hopefully someone else will spot this thread and have a magical answer :D Best of luck.

11. bicycle bill

One sugestion would be rather than copying the file create the file on the HDD i.e. C:\Transfer and then plug the HDD into the new computer and restore the fiels from there rather than using a USB to move them.

Thank you sir for trying to help but I am not computer savvy enough to do this. Also I am
    trying to help my neighbor do this. She wants to get a new laptop and certainly doesn't
    want to lose a bunch of pics.

I have already managed to accomplish this on my new PC going a long route by burning
    the file to disk but she does not have a burner. Oh well I will keep fumbling around and just maybe be successful. Thanks.

12. bicycle bill

Sorry to be so late getting back to you. The verson of FASTW was indeed the problem rather the file Migwiz.exe. It had to be updated with the Microsoft Hotfix KB 896344
    Thanks much.

13. sludge3000

sludge3000

Glad we could help. If your issue is now resolved pelase mark the thread as solved.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841010