1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] XP files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by p51, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Hi guys!

I am ver unfamiliar with XP. I am trying to configure a laptop, so that it can hit our work network (Novell Netware 5). While fumbling around, I have come across what seems to be where I would configure the network. While setting it up (control panel-network and internet connections-), I went throught the home or small office network. Now I am in the properties of it, and trying to install a Microsoft for Netware client, like in 98. When I do this, it is asking for the location of the drivers. I searched for .cab files, and found them to be in c:\I386 and c:\setupdlx. When I point to either of these locations, it says that it can't find any of the files needed. It doesn't give me a list of the files, specifically, and Microsoft for Netware networks is not available to choose for a client. Again, I am very stupid with XP. Am I missing something simple? Did I explain it in a way that makes sense?

Thanks for any help,

p51

2. p51

p51 Thread Starter

I am still messing around with this network connection. If I double click the network connection icon, the General tab show that I am connected. The Support tab shows that the computer grabbed an IP address, on our network, and has the correct Gateway and Subnet. I don't get a login on startup though, and I cannot see anything on the network, if I go to My Computer.

It looks like I am very close. Not being familiar with XP, I am guessing that I am missing something very simple and small.

Hope this helps some more.

p51

3. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Ok, here is one more update. I can see some of the computers, under workgroup names, but I can't see the servers, and don't get a login prompt. Any help would be great.

Thanks again!

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

To get all computers to "see" each other in XP you need to have TCP/IP and Client for MS Networks (Sharing also if you want to share printers) in the Properties of your LAN. All computers must have the same Work Group name. If the WG names are different, you won't see the others.

5. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Emtronics! That is in a peer to peer network, correct, as far as the workgroup names needing to be the same? We are on a Novell Server network. It appears that I may have set that up as a peer to peer connection, though I have no idea when/where/how, since I saw no options for any type. Is there a step that I missed?

6. Dan O

Dan O

I have not tried setting up a Novell client under XP, but I found this from Windows Help:

IPXInternetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) is the native NetWare protocol used on many earlier Novell networks. This section explains how to integrate Network Connections clients into a NetWare IPX network.

The IPX/SPX protocol is not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.

Support for NetWare
    Your computer must run a NetWare redirector to see a Novell NetWare network. This redirector is called Client Service for NetWare (CSNW).

A remote access server is also an IPX router and Service Advertising Protocol (SAP) agent. Once configured, remote access servers enable file and print services and the use of Windows Sockets programs over IPX on the NetWare network for Network Connections clients. Remote access servers and their Network Connections clients use the PPP IPX Configuration Protocol (IPXCP), as defined in RFC 1552, "The PPP Internet Protocol Control Protocol (IPXCP)," to configure the remote access line for IPX.

IPX addressing for remote clients
    Network Connections clients are always provided an IPX address by the remote access server. The IPX network number is either generated automatically by the remote access server, or a static pool of network numbers is given to the remote access server for assignment to Network Connections.

For automatically generated IPX network numbers, the remote access server uses the NetWare Router Information Protocol (RIP) to determine an IPX network number that is not in use in the IPX network. The remote access server assigns that number to the connection.

For information about configuring a connection, see To configure a connection. For information about configuring NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol, which is the Windows XP implementation of IPX, see To configure NWLink.

To configure incoming connections to use IPX, see To configure an incoming connection to use IPX.

P.S. Make sure you are using the same Frame type and size.

7. p51

p51 Thread Starter

I wasn't able to mess with this yesterday, but I got it working today. I got the Novell Client for WinXP v4.83 off of Novell's download site. Once I installed it, I hit the network immediately.

Talk to you guys later,

p51

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice